Blurry

candylover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have a problem when taking pictures of a person. Some parts of the body and jewelry show up blurry. I do use a tripod when I take pictures, so I don't think I shake the camera. Considering that finger rings show up blurry as well. I don't think the person moves either. In the picture I took below. The model's hands and right leg are blurry. What should I do to correct this problem?
I use the Cannon, Rebel 450D.
Thank you for all your help! :)
IMG_5096.jpg

it looks like the girl moved. one way to help prevent this is use a faster shutter speed.

I'd be tempted to say it's motion blur - what shutter speed are you using here? It doesn't exactly look like it though. Could be you have dust, mould or condensation on your lens or sensor somewhere perhaps.

Use a shutter speed of like 1/100 and use a remote shutter release and mirror lockup to elminate any possible shake or blur and see if it still does it, and if so, is it in the same area of the frame every time.

I thought that model photogs shot at 200 or 250?

She clearly moved in this picture...

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/8 second ===> 0.125 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 67/10 ===> ƒ/6.7
# Exposure Program = manual control (1)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 100
# EXIF Version = 0221
# Original Date/Time = 2010:03:25 12:29:03
# Digitization Date/Time = 2010:03:25 12:29:03
# Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 3/1
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/8 second
# Aperture Value (APEX) = 5488322/1000000
Aperture = ƒ/6.7
# Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/1 ===> 0
# Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 3625/1000 ===> 3.63
Max Aperture = ƒ/3.51
# Metering Mode = spot (3)
# Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
# Focal Length = 21/1 mm ===> 21 mm
# Last Modified Subsecond Time = 04
# Original Subsecond Time = 04
# Digitized Subsecond Time = 04
# Colour Space = sRGB (1)
# Image Width = 261 pixels
# Image Height = 650 pixels
# Focal Plane X-Resolution = 4272000/878 ===> 4865.6
# Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 2848000/584 ===> 4876.71
# Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
# Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
# Exposure Mode = manual exposure (1)
# White Balance = manual (1)
# Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Yep its shutter speed 1/8 is way to slow

Motion blur, looks like she pivoted on her left leg and swung her right side. Higher shutter speed.

Oh well oaky there you go. For shooting people, don't go below about 1/60 (bare minimum if they are keeping nice and still) but 1/100 or 1/200 is better.

1/8 second exposure time. That is the crux of the problem.

Yep, the blur is because the slow shutter speed recorded her moving.

The overall focus was also softened by camera shake.

To correct the problems, you need a better understanding of:
  • how a camera and lens work
  • how each individual portion of the 3 part exposure triad effect a photo (shutter speed, aperture, ISO)
  • and the relationship each element of the exposure triad has to making a photo.
In the image you posted you needed at least 3 more stops of shutter speed and 4-6 stops more would have been better.

But changing to a faster shutter speed to capture that motion as stopped and not blurry would mean opening up the aperture at least 3 stops.
You were at f/6.7 so you didn't have 3 stops of aperture to work with. You were using a kit lens, right? Your max aperture at the 21mm focal length you used being f/3.51 according to the EXIF data. So, that wouldn't have worked

To get the shutter speed you needed, and retain the aperture you used, you needed to bump the ISO 3 - 6 stops:
  • ISO 100
  • ISO 200, 1 stop
  • ISO 400, 2 stops
  • ISO 800, 3 stops
  • ISO 1600, 4 stops
  • ISO 3200, 5 stops
  • ISO 6400, 6 stops.
The remaining consideration then becomes: Does your camera perform well noise wise above ISO 800?

You must be using continous lighting because flash would have been ok
Up your ISO so you can up your shutter speed those lights must be very dim

It seems that every time I increment the shutter speed. The picture comes out really dark even though there's a lot of light in the room. What should I do?
Thanks!

It seems that every time I increment the shutter speed. The picture comes out really dark even though there's a lot of light in the room. What should I do?
Thanks!

If it is continous lighting use your in camera meter properly, it will be dark if you don't open up your aperture or up the ISO

Most reactions

Back