BMX on Southbank C&C Please...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Cheesyman, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So i was on Southbank in London and saw these guys on bmx so i just pulled out my camera and started shooting. First time shot stuff like this so i know they need work but please tell me what you think :)

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

2. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you want c&c, to be honest, its kind of boring, motion blur would help you, provided that its not on him but on the b ackground, some more bokeh so its not distracting, and most important, dont cut off the bike or body parts in the pictures

3. Hooker771

Hooker771 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would like to see them from an angle from the left looking into that garage area. I think the graffiti as a background would be better than other people standing around. Or next time shoot from the same place and leave the biker on the left portion of the frame. Or crop 1 and 2

4. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    To me they are just point and hope and boring, instead of just getting your camera out think about angles, get lower, use wider angle lenses shot vertical for some shots and think about the background

5. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cheers for your help guys, in future i will be more adventuress but as i said i was walking along and spotted them and only managed to get a few shot's as they stopped for a while :) cheers

6. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #2 is the best of the bunch, but I don't like that his tire is cut off, and there's not much energy in the photo. The framing isn't great on any of these. The dynamic range of the image is too great, and the area that is supposed to be the 'location' (the bike park) is way too dark. Also, what's with all the people in the shot. They compete big time for my eye. If they don't serve the photo, get them out of it. Shots like this can work if everyone in the crowd has their eyes glued on the main event (the biker). That way if you look at them, their eyes direction leads you back to the biker. But nothing about the shot makes me want to look at the biker. When I look at this shot, I spend about 1/4 of a second looking at the biker, then I want to see what all over that colorful pillar, there's a guy in a red scarf, I want to see what he's doing, oh he's got a camera, then the leading line of the railing by him takes me deeper into the photo where I see two people walking back towards a car, which sort of brings me visually near the front tire of the bike, which sort of bring me back to it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If they go there every week find out what time and go along with a purpose,
    Try some low angles with second curtain sinc flash here's one of mine not BMX, this was shot at 1/30
    [​IMG]

8. KKJUN

KKJUN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think I can add something here. Everything's been said.

I have a question though: Why is he grabbing the front wheel? For style? Or would he not be able to land if he didn't do it?

9. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cheers Generalbenson, very helpful :)

gsgary: yeah i was thinking of doing that, it's just a matter of spotting them again haha nice picture by the way, i will give that a try :)

KKJUN: i wasn't to sure why he was doing that, i think something like that :)

10. bhphotography

bhphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would try to get a wider aperature and longer exposure, this will blur the background and make the rider as sharp as possible. Also try to get the crowd in the background to make it a little more interesting.

11. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    to clarify- if you are using a longer shutter and u want the bmx sarp you will need to be panning. i agree a wider aperture would be better and i think a bit more saturation would be better