Boating Slip Abstract

bishopsmead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
adamclutterbuck.com
With this - I'm after a straight like it/don't like it.
This is a long exposure of the edge of a slipway while the tide comes in. For me I like the colour, simplicity and abstract quality. However I would like to know if it works for others too.
Please critique honestly.

49610430.jpg

Shot settings: 25s f/21.9 at 22.0mm iso100 tripod 2 ND filters Polariser

I personally like the bottom half of the picture a lot more than the top half. I'm not keep on how it blurs towards the top but I do like the distinct edges of the bottom half for me personally if you cropped it in half and presented me the lower piece it would be a distinct :thumbup:

I think the white background of this forum didn't help -- but I agree that perhaps a tighter crop would simplify it further and concentrate on the stronger colours. Here it is:

49611663.jpg

I'm by no means expert but I know what I like and I like the 2nd version a lot :)

ok, what i think. i think that it's a good picture and a simple picture. now those are two things that are rare and very valuable. getting down to business, the first one is better because the second just looks cropped it looks cut off especially because you have ruined that marvellous semidiagonal that was in the first one. also, the washed-out effect lives on even in the edit, because the point of reference has just moved downwards. you do not realise that it is darker because it is still light and the pic begins with it. and the gradient is too rapid. it begins with beige-white and ends with black. the transition is too great for this space but not too serious.

solution: i say you keep the first, but work on the brightness/contrast and you're bound to hit something good sooner or later.

Most reactions

Back