Bodacious First Shot - Taylor

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by DGMPhotography, Nov 11, 2017.

1. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've just about finished my first shot from my shoot with Taylor.

I'm still trying to decide on a few things. First off, what crop should I go with?

If we can agree on that, I would also like to discuss background choice.

General C&C is welcome as well, but I would like to address the above topics.

1. deciding crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-1.jpg 2. deciding crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg

On one hand, I've never gotten a full-body shot that I've liked, but this one definitely has me reconsidering that. But on the other hand, I realize the closer crop bring more focus to her face. Thoughts?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I prefer the half-body version, for the additional on-screen size and detail that it carries with it. Her posture in #1 looks a bit off-kilter (foot positioning, camera-right) so I prefer shot #2.

3. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. Posture looks a bit off below the knee. If I went with the full-body version, I may want to rotate her foot a little bit.

But now I have another question. Are there any situations where a full body standing portrait makes sense? Now that I think of it, I haven't seen it very often.

And aside from that, what do you think of the shot?

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    FULL-BODY standing shots make a LOT of sense...you can literally "see the whole person", from head to toe! She has on a ver interesting denim jumpsuit, very stylized, very retro-chic...she has an attractive figure...literally showing her makes a lot of sense; yet at the same time, cropping this, and showing her more-clearly, in a more close-in crop, is also very appealing. As far as what I think of the shot: I like the slight bit of warming gel filter used on her, but at the same time, I think it might have been a good idea to have included a bit of that gelled light on that gray backdrop. Perhaps a bit of that warm, magenta-ish tone could be applied to the backdrop in post?

5. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm.. I just wonder in what case the full-body shot would be better than a cropped shot.

As for the background, it's a composite as-is, so adding some color isn't a problem :) which I suppose brings me to the second point of my post. What background should I go with? I've got a few options I've worked on so far (and I'll try the color addition as well).

deciding crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-1.jpg deciding crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg
    bg options - Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg bg options crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg
    bg options - Daryll Morgan Photography-3.jpg bg options crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-3.jpg
    bg options - Daryll Morgan Photography-4.jpg bg options crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-4.jpg
    bg options - Daryll Morgan Photography-5.jpg bg options crop - Daryll Morgan Photography-5.jpg

Attached Files:

6. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Beautiful lighting, and I really like the pose. I think the half body looks best; the full body looks a bit awkward. Her hair looks clean and really stylish, and overall the general processing of the image is very good. I don't care for the face retouching though; any detail of her skin looks wiped away, giving her a fake cartoonish look. As far as backgrounds go, I think #4 harmonizes best with her clothing and compliments the pink lighting really well, and the warm tones add a generally healthy look to her. 3 is decent as well, but I think the less contrasting tones between her skin and the background of 4 looks better, and the pink light looks a bit out of place with the cooler tones in 3.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    #4.

8. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe you should have posed your model differently. That pose does not flatter her shape, and her legs are oddly placed.

For a full-body shot, the legs should be more interesting than what is shown here. A more artful pose might help, and then lower your camera. Having your lens at about her neck level automatically puts more emphasis on her face, even if you frame to include her feet. Furthermore, the light fall-off is working against a full-body shot. You should plan out your shot(s) even before the model shows up so can be ready with the proper lighting.

As for the background color, use whatever color you want, as long as the color of the background is complimentary to the model, her attire, and the overall theme of the shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Now I have a question about that statement. "..finished my first shot.." Are you talking about doing a lot of time-consuming editing to only one (the first) shot? If that is the case, my question is "Why?"

How far off was it before you started? What all do you have to work on? Are your edits something that could have (should have) been done when you took the shot? Are you planning to do a similar amount of editing to every shot? How many shots and how much time? Are you incorporating this methodology into your business model? Have you considered the possibility that you might need to learn photography instead of Photoshop?

Food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit
    Masking someone out from a background takes a lot of time, if you want to do it right. And I would expect any self respecting photographer to spend time in post. As for your other comments, I, and others here, really like the pose for the most part. But your comments about the full-body shot and how it could be more interesting do have some truth to them. As I was lighting this shot, I realized the need for a v-flat. Something I've been wanting to add to my arsenal for awhile.

Thanks, Dan. I think #4 is best, too. Thanks for your feedback. As for the face retouching.. I don't think I can ever make you happy in that haha. I actually didn't do much here, aside from a couple of blemishes and darkening her eyes.

11. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why are the pics so small? You can not blow them up to inspect them at this size. Hard to critique something small.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit

No one else here has seemed to have a problem critiquing at this size. I upload my images at 1700x1700 which is more than enough.

And it's about the largest I can get without exceeding TPF's upload limit.

• Agree Agree x 1