Body Caps, Lens Caps, Lens Hoods, Filters

Mindy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do canon cameras come with body caps or should I buy one?

What is the difference between a lens cap and a lens hood, and which do you recommend? Do these come standard sized based on the mount or what? And I guess I'd need one for the front and the back?

I've read about filters, I think I will try one. Once again, how are they sized/fitted? By mount or some other way?

Thank you for your patience. :)

Your lens has 2 ends. One that connects to the camera and one that points out

Cap on the end that connect = body cap
Cap on the end that sticks out = lens cap

A lens hood goes over your lens and helps protect it from dings and lens flare.

A lens hood is made for a specific size lens.
You have varying sizes of lens caps as you do lens filters

My 10-22 is a 77mm, my 28-75 is a 67mm.

I would suggest all 3. The caps to protect when you are not shooting and the hood to protect while you are :)

Your lens will come with a lens cap for both ends, and your camera will come with a cap for where you connect your lens, for when you do not have a lens on it.

Some lenses come with hoods, some dont. Look at what comes with the lens you are purchasing and you will know. I highly recommend a hood with most lenses. It will protect it, and help with sunlight, plus it just looks better. ;) lol

Your lens has 2 ends. One that connects to the camera and one that points out

Cap on the end that connect = body cap
Cap on the end that sticks out = lens cap
Almost, but not quite; the body cap is the cap that fits into the lens opening on the body if there is no lens in place. The caps on the lens are simply the front [lens] cap and the rear [lens] cap.

there are front and rear lens caps:
Front:
2726a002.jpg

rear:
350__2_CanonRearLensCap.jpg

Both come when you buy a lens.
A lens hood as stated above protects from dings and flare
Canon-2676A002.jpg

Usually comes with L glass and third party lenses. Different lenses use different hoods.
Body Cap:
VirginBodyCap.jpg

Covers lens hole in camera body when no lens is attached.
Filter size depends on the screw mount size on the front of the lens.

Okay I understand about hoods now thank you, but didn't realize it stayed on the camera while in use.

I heard from here I think that Canon didn't provide lens caps or body caps and that they were sold separately. That would be very unkind of Canon to do that IMO. From your posts here, it sounds like they do indeed come with the camera and lenses. Good. :)

You have varying sizes of lens caps as you do lens filters

My 10-22 is a 77mm, my 28-75 is a 67mm.

Oh I get it! When I first read this I totally didn't understand it. But I've just discovered on Canon's page for the lens in my sig that the filter size is 72mm! Okay that settles that! :thumbup:

Thanks folks! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back