Bodybuilding Poses/Editing

You seem to see your friend as a friend, not as an athlete or prospective client, etc. (so the feeling like you might laugh...). Just because you're friends and you have a camera...

Expectations could be for pro quality work the friend has seen and it seems like that's out of your level of expertise (for now). Maybe have your friend show you websites where he's seen photos that he wants his portraits to look like. You might be doing your friend a disservice if he wants pro quality portraits - maybe you should instead help your friend find a good pro photographer. People don't seem to realize what it takes to do a pro level photo and make assumptions that if someone has a DSLR that they can do the same.

Try taking a look at Sportsshooter, or look up Dave Black; I took a sports photography workshop with him some years ago and I know he does Olympics and some of the more nontraditional sports. I've done sports (mostly hockey) and I don't think I'd take on something I don't know how to do. I'd leave that to a pro photographer who has more expertise than I do in some areas and stick to what I know how to do (except when experimenting on my own, not for others, when I'm doing my own thing AKA art photography).
Thanks for the advice. It was more of a personal joke and maybe wasn't something I should have shared in my original post as people seem to be misconstruing it as a lack of respect for my work and/or clients. We are very good friends, I'm doing this for free for my portfolio, he's doing it for his portfolio; if it doesn't turn out well; nothing's lost but a little time; and a few actuations. ;) I'll know my limits and can refer him to a local photographer. I'm still exploring my interests; and trying to find a niche so that's why I'm pursuing something I'm unsure of. Never know 'til you try! Lol. When I do something new, I often come here for assistance and encouragement when I tackle something new. You guys are an invaluable source of information.
Thank you for the reference material though! I will certainly look into it! :D

...Omg, this is going to be a lot of work. Lol.
It can be a lot of work, to do well. For instance, referencing the example I posted earlier, this is the set-up for another image from that set:
_DSC1620_Krista_gym.jpg

It's a four light set-up, which had to come together at a specific point. Notice all the green gaf tape on the floor? That indicates the direction the model has to face, the long axis of the barbell, as well as locations for other light arrangements.

That set-up yielded this:
_DSC1690_KRISTA_WEB.jpg

Which is not a traditional body-building image, but was shot for a specific purpose. Point being, that there can be a lot more to an image than one might think. You certainly don't need to go to those lengths, and can create some fantastic images with only a single light.

Yeah!! I too agree that this are really nice tips and tricks which can help to get with good shoot. Appreciate!!

...Omg, this is going to be a lot of work. Lol.
It can be a lot of work, to do well. For instance, referencing the example I posted earlier, this is the set-up for another image from that set:
_DSC1620_Krista_gym.jpg

It's a four light set-up, which had to come together at a specific point. Notice all the green gaf tape on the floor? That indicates the direction the model has to face, the long axis of the barbell, as well as locations for other light arrangements.

That set-up yielded this:
_DSC1690_KRISTA_WEB.jpg

Which is not a traditional body-building image, but was shot for a specific purpose. Point being, that there can be a lot more to an image than one might think. You certainly don't need to go to those lengths, and can create some fantastic images with only a single light.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVE hard work. Means that much more when the final product is in hand.
Here's the little mini studio space I'm gonna rent. Couple of different lighting options to play with; plus my stuff. I'm BEYOND excited. :D I'm totally going to do my best to copy your setup and see what it yields for me. :D
studio-space-863x1024.jpg

Even if it's for fun, and with a friend, you might need to be thinking about contracts etc. Most photographers do TFP (trade) but still get things in writing to avoid/prevent any potential misunderstandings later about how the photos will be used. If you haven't already try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for resources.

I did not know there were REQUIRED poses. Omg, this is going to be a lot of work. Lol.
Those required poses are for competitions to ensure the judges look at each contestant in the same way. For a portfolio, I doubt if your friend will need to strike the same exact poses. You and he will need to discuss the particulars.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVE hard work. Means that much more when the final product is in hand. Here's the little mini studio space I'm gonna rent. Couple of different lighting options to play with; plus my stuff. I'm BEYOND excited. :D I'm totally going to do my best to copy your setup and see what it yields for me. :D
studio-space-863x1024.jpg
It is going to be VERY hard to work in that space with those lights and pull off what you want.

I did not know there were REQUIRED poses. Omg, this is going to be a lot of work. Lol.
Those required poses are for competitions to ensure the judges look at each contestant in the same way. For a portfolio, I doubt if your friend will need to strike the same exact poses. You and he will need to discuss the particulars.
Which is why I suggested them. I wouldn't want only those poses, but it would be good to have the compulsory poses included for the very reason they are compulsory.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back