Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod

see whats in my .sig file below, I highly recommend the tripod and monopod listed. I researched and tried out different options.... The tripod fit my criteria perfectly. STRONG, tall, somewhat short when all folded up, at least a lot shorter overall then most, quick release with the plates being available anywhere..... Supports everything in my arsenal.

The 488RC2 head is much larger than the 486RC2. I suppose it is probably stronger, but I have a 486RC2 with 40D, grip and several large lenses and the 486 is plenty strong enough to hold it steady. I also adjusts easily and and smoothly. I looked at both side by side, and the 486 was fine for my needs. As well, the 190CXPro legs are great, I love the swinging center column. I have another manfrotto that you must take the column right out to place it horizantally. Its not too much trouble to do, but the new style is really slick and you can switch between vertical and horizontal almost instantly.

iflynething,
so what setup did you finally decide on?

i don't mean to hijack your thread, i just thought i'd go along instead of starting a new thread since i'm also in the market for tripod and decided to go with bogen/manfrotto brand. after lots of reading, i'm gonna jump on 190XPROB legs and still not sure which ball head i'm going to get, 486RC2 or 488RC2. i read that most of you are happy with either one, but i just want to know how come the price on 488RC2 is almost double from 486RC2. what is the main difference or advantage of 488RC2 compare to 486RC2?

I talked with some other photographers and he suggest get the 190PRO versions. Mainly for the subtle changes the PRO version offers.

I'm still looking around at heads though. After talking with that same photographer, I might go with the pan/tilt. I thoiught I was going to have to do alot of maneuvering (as said in previous posts) but after he showed me how they actually work, I'm probably going with that.

More than likely this set up http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...XPROB_804RC2_190XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Does anyone know if that pan/tilt head has a leveler on it. I think I'm going to steer away from getting a Spirit Leveler to keep on the camera. I never know when I'm going to need to have the flash on it. After finding out how that head works, I'm more than likely going with that.

Not too bad of a price either. Depending on if I have enough money, I may go with a carbon fiber set up for some weight savings.

~Michael~

see whats in my .sig file below, I highly recommend the tripod and monopod listed. I researched and tried out different options.... The tripod fit my criteria perfectly. STRONG, tall, somewhat short when all folded up, at least a lot shorter overall then most, quick release with the plates being available anywhere..... Supports everything in my arsenal.

thanks for the advice, appreciate it. but i think im gonna stick with 190xprob mainly because a friend of mine have this leg and when i tried to play with it i like how it was build, the features (especially leveling device), sturdiness. as for the head, im still debating between 486RC2 or 488RC2. i should be able to decide and pull the trigger soon.

Warren_G,
question for you: does 486RC2 has the feature 90 degree groove that can switch position of your camera from landscape to portrait position like 488RC2?

I would suggest that you look at the 055XPROB legs instead of the 190 legs. The 055 legs are a stronger set of legs that will support more weight. While maybe not needed now, for a few dollars more now you will be planning for the future. The 055 legs could easily last you a lifetime of shooting unless you get some really big glass. My general set of field legs are the 3021XPROB legs, which was the predecessor to the 055 legs.

http://www.adorama.com/BG055XPROB.html

As for ball heads, virtually everyone I know that ever used the 486 ends up going with the 488 in the long run. It's larger supports more weight, is more stable when used and has a separate panning feature that the 486 does not.

486 info:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/bypass/pid/2304?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

488 into:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/bypass/pid/2306?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

I have the 055 legs and I couldn't imagine a lens that would be too heavy for them. They are super sturdy, and really versatile.

I have the 055 legs and I couldn't imagine a lens that would be too heavy for them. They are super sturdy, and really versatile.

400 f2.8 Technically it would hold it, but stability wise, it is pushing the limits. In even a slight breeze with that much weight I get a bit of vibration. That is why I have a Gitzo GT3530LSV with the Wemberley head II for it when shooting wildlife.

I'm still looking around at the heads but I've pretty much decided on the 190 series. They seem to be the best bet. I have the thinking that I'd rather spend more money now for something better than spend more over the long run in the future.

~Michael~

I'm still looking around at the heads but I've pretty much decided on the 190 series. They seem to be the best bet. I have the thinking that I'd rather spend more money now for something better than spend more over the long run in the future.

~Michael~

That is why I suggested the 055. It is that step up from the 190. Either should do a good job within their limits. Manfrotto is a fine company.

In looking at heads pay close attention to the QR system if you look for that in a head. The Manfrotto RC2 is very popular, the QR plates are cheap, plentiful and easy to find. Those are the good points. The bad point can be again later down the line depending on what equipment you intend to buy. I recently changed from the RC2 to the Arca-Swiss QR and plates. More expensive, but the most trustworthy/secure on the market today.

I switched when I got a piece of long glass. I would not trust a 300mm f2.8 or a 400mm f2.8 on an RC2. The Arca-swiss however is a totally different matter.

There are several imitators of the Arca-swiss style including Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giottos, and several others. The difference is compatability. Arca-swiss is a standard that companies like Arca-swiss, RSS (Really Right Stuff) Wemberley, Kirk, Fobus and others all use. It is interchangeable. The new line of Giottos Professional Ball Heads II is Arca-swiss compatable. The imitators are prepriatory. That could be a factor later on in what you could mount on that head.

Many Arca-swiss companies make replacement QR heads for other ballheads. I have a modified 322 head for studio use with a Wimberley QR on it. It was a custom thing I had done by a machineist friend. It is very easy to covert say a 488 ball head later on if you choose to.

Arca-swiss is not for everybody. It is more expensive than say the RC2. It would be something to consider hoever if you plans lead you that way.

I would suggest that you look at the 055XPROB legs instead of the 190 legs. The 055 legs are a stronger set of legs that will support more weight. While maybe not needed now, for a few dollars more now you will be planning for the future. The 055 legs could easily last you a lifetime of shooting unless you get some really big glass. My general set of field legs are the 3021XPROB legs, which was the predecessor to the 055 legs.

http://www.adorama.com/BG055XPROB.html

As for ball heads, virtually everyone I know that ever used the 486 ends up going with the 488 in the long run. It's larger supports more weight, is more stable when used and has a separate panning feature that the 486 does not.

486 info:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/bypass/pid/2304?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

488 into:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/bypass/pid/2306?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

i totally agree that 055 is a step up from 190. it is sturdier, more load capacity, and has more heights. the only downside is the weight.
just got back from local camera shop to compare 055-190, 486rc2-488rc2. i'm only 5'8" so to be honest 055 plus few inches from ball head is kinda too high a bit for me. i carried 055 and walked around the store for a few times to get the feel of the weight. for me personally, if i go hiking or doing outdoor stuff for several hours this 055 leg is pretty heavy.

again, most ppl here are in the same page to say that 055 is better than 190, but considering my height and needs in photography (i'm pure beginner and hobbyist) i think 190 will fit perfectly well for me.

as far as ball head, i think i will get the 488rc2. so my setup will be 190xprob and 488rc2. ;)

i appreciate your suggestion though. :thumbup:

i totally agree that 055 is a step up from 190. it is sturdier, more load capacity, and has more heights. the only downside is the weight.
just got back from local camera shop to compare 055-190, 486rc2-488rc2. i'm only 5'8" so to be honest 055 plus few inches from ball head is kinda too high a bit for me. i carried 055 and walked around the store for a few times to get the feel of the weight. for me personally, if i go hiking or doing outdoor stuff for several hours this 055 leg is pretty heavy.

again, most ppl here are in the same page to say that 055 is better than 190, but considering my height and needs in photography (i'm pure beginner and hobbyist) i think 190 will fit perfectly well for me.

as far as ball head, i think i will get the 488rc2. so my setup will be 190xprob and 488rc2. ;)

i appreciate your suggestion though. :thumbup:

Like I said, the cost of arca-swiss isn't for everyone. A good portion of photographers will never need the security of the arca-swiss system. Something like the RC2 system is plenty for their needs. It is a good system.

I should have arca-swiss from the start and didn't. I knew where I was going but just didn't plan ahead so I spent money on RC2 plates that now I don't use. I will end up selling the 488rc2 and the plates one of these days as I no longer use them.

Like I said, the cost of arca-swiss isn't for everyone. A good portion of photographers will never need the security of the arca-swiss system. Something like the RC2 system is plenty for their needs. It is a good system.

I should have arca-swiss from the start and didn't. I knew where I was going but just didn't plan ahead so I spent money on RC2 plates that now I don't use. I will end up selling the 488rc2 and the plates one of these days as I no longer use them.

aahhh...you should've told me that you're planning to sell 488rc2, i might have gotten it from you. ;)
i placed an order on the leg and ball head last night.

Yeah. I wouldn't really want a heavier leg system. I want to get a Carbon Fiber but I might have to wait for that.

I do alot of hiking and don't plan on using anything other than a 70-200 2.8. I think the 190 series would do alright and support that and the D300 I'm buying after Christmas

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back