Boggle! C&C (BESP)

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I kinda forced this one this week. I wasn't coming up with anything so I did this before bed Sunday night. It's not a single object, but it is a single game. :)

I wanted to give some feeling of "hurry" as you kind of feel when playing the game so I captured some motion with longer speeds on the side shots, used some artifical zoom blur in the middle, and tilted the side shots to give more of a dramatic feeling. I also took care to point them inward to draw focus to the game instead of out of the frame. I think it came out ok. Oh yeah, this weeks' project was a triptych.

Hourglass:
1/6
ISO 100
Canon 100mm Macro USM

Paper:
1/6
ISO 100
Canon 100mm Macro USM

Boggle:
1/40
ISO 100
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

boggle.jpg

I think the slow shutter speed is the reason why nothing is in focus. I like the idea though. I was hoping there would be a cool word in the Boggle area that would give some insight to something magical lol. Good idea, just not well executed.

Actually, for your struggle, this is pretty effective, in my eyes. I disagree with indeedies though, a bit. I think I would like a little better focus somewhere on the boggle board (to agree with indeedies):). Perhaps in the area of the word that is currently being written down? I LOVE the fast writing blur. I feel that very effectively conveys the fast pace of the game. I also was looking for words. I also went back to look to see how much time was in the timer, because it didn't register at first.

Indeedies, how can you find this ineffective. I mean, he made you look for words :lmao:

I think compositionally, it's decent. The lines and angles of the side shots help point back to the center. I think there is a little busyness or something in the center shot though. I can't put my finger on if it's the blur, or if it's because the "dice" create so many literal lines and implied lines (diagonals fron the cut corners of the dice). But then, does that add to the frantic pace?

Seems that neither of you realized that on a left to right downward diagonal in the boggle board it says "BESP" ;)

cool concept.

Very clever "BESP" - extra credit

The out of focus is distracting to me, a bit much.

I like the symmetry with the angles on each side and the blue carrying through the images - I wonder what it would look like if the blue lines in the paper were as saturated as the other blue?

BESP!!!! Now it's obvious. How did I miss that :lmao:

Don't want to seem dumb but... could someone tell me what BESP stands for? I posted the question on the glossary sticky, because it wasn't listed there. I'm impatient, what can I say.

About the picture, I think it's nice, I only wish the B and P were more in focus since this is what you want to stand out. But I did notice how you fliped all the other letters so that it does stand out a bit more.

Bekah

Bitter's Evil School of Photography

I like how you captured "hurry" with the blurring....Defiantely a cool idea.
Im just seeing the same thing ive seen with my own shots....its a cool idea..but how interesting is it?

I agree that the writing pic is pretty amazing. I think it's a very interesting set! I do agree that the middle pic would be better with less blur. I'm inspired!

Bravo Sarah! I was afraid I was going to have to "spell it out". :lmao:

I'm confused about what you guys mean by nothing being in focus? I made sure each were in focus and I feel like I hit it. In the hourglass, the 'apex' is in focus but the sand is blurred because of slow shutter. I guess I went a little overboard on the PP blur on #2 though, as everyone pretty much concluded the same thing? The original image just looked too static for me.... it went from action shot, static shot, action shot. This made the outer two shots MUCH more interesting than the game board which I think should hold at least equal interest. Perhaps I should have gotten something other than a flat 2d angle?

Indeedies, I'm not sure how shutter speed has any relationship with focus. Perhaps you could expound. :)

Good concept. Overall I think it works, with a few nits...

I'm not sure if it tells a story really, the parts are there but there isn't an order to it really. I like your use of center facing diagonals to keep the eye in the frame.

The shallow DOF, motion blur, and Zoom blur add up to a lof of OOF area and blurriness. It kind of bothers me. Boggle isn't usually the game of choice around here when people have been drinking, but I get that feeling when I stare at it.

I do like the way you lit and exposed the third section

Edit - post reading of other people's C&C:
I also looked for words and didn't catch the BESP... Can't believe it.
Maybe it's the DOF in the hourglass???
I think the photoshop effect of the center image is what is throwing it off the most for me.

Last edited:
You all suck at this game ... I see: bees, bee, see, seen, wasp, pans, span, and sent on that board ... along with the BESP ...

I like this one, and I think the motion on the hand on the pad is excellent!

Last edited:
You all suck at this game ... I see "Bees" "Wasp" and "Sent" on that board ... along with the BESP ...

I like this one, and I think the motion on the hand on the pad is excellent!

First word I saw was UNTIE

I agree on the hand motion.

Also good job bumping and OLD thread. :)

Most reactions

Back