bokeh 'leading lines'

More evidence that the word Bokeh is an English word from the Japanese "blur", Boke, and not necessarily the same concept.

While I am happy to accept that boke-aji existed in Japan as a photographic concept, I have yet to actually see any evidence of it being the case - and that the appropriation of the term word thus far appears nothing short of just that - an awkward appropriation.

Canon's inexpensive, low build quality, EF 50 mm f/1.8 II lens is well known for the very jittery, nervous looking bokeh iot produces as a result of the lens low build quality and 5, sharp edged, straight, lens aperture blades.

an example of the Canon 50mm 1.8 II lens with the jittery nervous bokeh

(on a 60D)
it's a $50 lens. spend $100 and you could get 50% less jittery

16738218746_36730713b3_b.jpg

cant you just use a photoshop blur to fix nervous jittery bokeh?

Bokeh, blur, what the hell's the difference anymore?

Personally, I am not familiar with what PS can do, but I know good bokeh when I see it.

i took a candid pic of my mom in her backyard. i was pretty disappointed with the bokeh. I believe this is that nervous jittery bokeh you are talking about. with a 50mm/1.8 manual focus nikor lens. I am disapointed with the bokeh I'm getting with it in certain situations. Sometimes it looks good. But far away stuff can get that jittery, double vision bokeh look. maybe its hand shake or something?

I took about two minutes and put a couple layers of various blurs n sharpness on it. I think the photshop helped out. i would mask it better n work on it longer, but just trying to show the bokeh here.

Attachments

• smallercandidmom.jpg
    smallercandidmom.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 230
  • smallerblurredcandidmom.jpg
    smallerblurredcandidmom.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 215
Yes, PS can help bad bokeh - it does a better job at it than creating bokeh IMO. But do you want to mask every single image with a blurry background?

Yes, PS can help bad bokeh - it does a better job at it than creating bokeh IMO. But do you want to mask every single image with a blurry background?
no. of course not. but in a pinch.... sure. I get good bokeh when the background is fairly close to the subject, but i get that jittery stuff when the background is far from the subject. trying to figure out why. like double vision bokeh. all the shots taken with f1.8

Oh please, let this thread turn into a Bokeh definition fight!! :popcorn:

Thank you, lots of links in one place. But I'm already quite comfy with the definition. Some like it limited, some like it expanded, some like to argue. It's like global warming.

Thank you, lots of links in one place. But I'm already quite comfy with the definition. Some like it limited, some like it expanded, some like to argue. It's like global warming.
Actually, there is absolutely no argument about global warming. Global warming and global coolling are a proven FACT. Now whether the current trend in global warming is man made or not is up for debate, but this planet has warmed and cooled in cycles since the first particles of space dust solidified into what we now call earth and an atmospher developed around this planet.

Most reactions

Back