Bokeh with 35 lens

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been wanting a Minolta 50mm 1.7 lens because the bokeh is awesome. Hubby bought me a Sony 35mm lens. Either I am doing something wrong or you don't get much of the effect. Help please!

Well, a 35mm does not "magnify" the background very much, so out of focus points of light are rendered somewhat small. So...no "great big, giant, round, out-of-focus Christmas lights" will occur, as with a 300mm lens shot outdoors, for example. Also, the degree of out-of-focus-ness from a 35mm lens is not as extreme as say, the degree of out-of-focus one gets when using a 200mm lens...the longer lens has shallower depth of field and also has a somewhat exotic difference in that the longer lens has more of what is called "background blur".

With a 35mm lens set to f/1.8 or f/2 or thereabouts, there is a **somewhat shallow** depth of field if the subject is fairly close to the camera, and so if the background is relatively far behind, the background will be rendered **somewhat** out of focus...so...

Thank you Darrel. I have seen a lot of pics taken with 50mm Minolta, and it has excellent effect. You did a good job explaining it, but when I use my lens with an aperture of a 4.5 to 5.6 70-210mm I can get the effect, but the focal point is not sharp enough. I understand it, but kinda confused? How can a 50mm, but not a 35mm lens not have close to the same effect? Here is my first picture. No alter except size. f-stop 3.5, shutter 1/60, ISO 250, aperture 1.7 and focal length 52. My friends kitty. $Blue 4x6.jpg

you're too far away from the cat and the background is too close.

also, you REALLY don't understand aperture & f/stop, because they're the same thing. You said your aperture is 1.7 and f/stop is 3.5.

what matters when it comes to amount of blur is magnification, distance to background and f/stop.

Basically if you want maximum blur, you want to be zoomed in as close to your subject as possible, have the background as far away as possible with your f/stop as low as possible.

Thank you:) Keep trying. I think I finally have a mental picture. Thanks for the help everyone:)

This is with a 35mm lens at F2, on a full-frame camera. Subject close-in, some distance with the background. The 35mm lens is a releatively short focal length, and out-of-focus circles are small. A 50mm lens would give circles about twice as big.

Attachments

• $L1006895.jpg
    $L1006895.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 163
A 50mm lens, at F1.5. Again on a full-frame camera. Longer focal length, wider-aperture.

Attachments

• $L1000047.jpg
    $L1000047.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 159
you can get a pretty decent amount of background blur with a 35mm f/1.8 wide open, you just have to be very close to your subject.

This was a shot with a 35mm f/1.8:

$177588_10100550284846566_170407612_o.jpg

But I was just a couple of feet away from my dog there. It was important that she was in profile, because had she been looking straight forward on, that close up, you would have gotten perspective distortion.

That's really the problem with getting a nice blurred background with a 35mm, is that you have to get really close to your subject to do it, and this will cause perspective distortion. Sometimes you can avoid it by having everything on one plane (like above) or sometimes you can use the perspective distortion to your advantage, but if you want an OOF background, and you can't put your background hundreds of feet away, you have to figure out how to deal with it one way or the other.

Thank you all! I am going to seriously study this:)

You should still get that 50mm f1.7. Its more Ideal for portraits. A traditional portrait lens is a 85mm on FF. A 50mm on a crop sensor is the equivalent of 75mm. Very nice focal length for using bounced flash. You can also you a 70-200 f2.8 or a 135mm for portraits. The added focal length is very nice for portraits.

Most reactions

Back