Bolts...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by ChrisCDK, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ChrisCDK

ChrisCDK TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

I am sad that the shadow on the right got cut off... But aside from that, is this shot interesting enough? Or just kind of bland. How can I improve something like this?

Taken with my new Nikon D50.

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, I think it's pretty bland. I'd like to see some more interesting lighting. i.e. more shadows off the bolts, and maybe some interesting shadowing or contrast in the dropoff at the bottom.

or

A different angle. Maybe a sharp closeup of the writing on the bolts, or an angle that you wouldnt normally look at the bolt from.

3. tmpadmin

tmpadmin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting enough for what? As a stock photo for an industrial firm maybe and exhibit on rust or metal sure. You are correct about the shadow, the angel might improve some of the photo's elements.

4. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am of a different opinion. I wouldn't have suggested a close up of the bolts because thats a typical thing to do to a rusty object, such as this. Much more importantly tho... you wouldn't have have captured that white line, dividing the two contrasting textures. This is the most important feature of this picture imo and glad you decided to include it. I agree with you, the bolt shadow on the right is noticably cropped, but as an abstract image i kinda like it as it is... i would be tempted to add more shadow/highlight detail... and would have considered changing the angle maybe.. but that is all i'd change.

5. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well... for me the picture needs to shout... or say something... so we are able to think longer about the picture... giving a metaphore...

6. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

bit more saturation maybe