Bonds

Then why does he get the record?
Bonds has never actually tested positive for steroids. He was part of a Grand Jury trial (or whatever it was) and he supposedly admitted that he unknowingly took some things that may have been steroids. That was supposed to be kept within the court room but it was leaked. There is also a book 'Game of Shadows' that was written about Bonds and the company 'BALCO', which was his training & nutrition supplier. The evidence seems overwhelming...but there doesn't seem to be a public proof yet.

Bonds has never actually tested positive for steroids. He was part of a Grand Jury trial (or whatever it was) and he supposedly admitted that he unknowingly took some things that may have been steroids. That was supposed to be kept within the court room but it was leaked. There is also a book 'Game of Shadows' that was written about Bonds and the company 'BALCO', which was his training & nutrition supplier. The evidence seems overwhelming...but there doesn't seem to be a public proof yet.

^^ What he said.

It's funny...GoM linked me to a whole bunch of SI.com polls the night Bonds hit that homer....and one of the questions was asking if you thought he took steroids....there were a couple hundred that had said yes at the time I took the quiz....and I think 8 that said no.

So he may or may not be guilty of using steroids.

I guess if he is found guilty, the record will be not valid and everyone happy?
If he is found innocent... I guess some people will always think otherwise anyway.

So he may or may not be guilty of using steroids.

I guess if he is found guilty, the record will be not valid and everyone happy?
If he is found innocent... I guess some people will always think otherwise anyway.

Well, GoM pointed out to me that there are others in the hall of fame that HAVE been proven to have taken steriods, and they're still in the hall of fame.

....not sure if the same would apply to records. (I can't remember off hand if palmiero has records like that)

Well, GoM pointed out to me that there are others in the hall of fame that HAVE been proven to have taken steriods, and they're still in the hall of fame.

....not sure if the same would apply to records. (I can't remember off hand if palmiero has records like that)

So it's not entirely forbiden to take drugs... but it angers the fans... ok I think I got it.;)

Not so much that they're in the Hall of Fame (yet), but Palmeiro and Big Mac still have their HR totals..so Bonds'll likely keep his, whatever happens.

So it's not entirely forbiden to take drugs... but it angers the fans... ok I think I got it.;)

No, it's entirely forbidden. That person was already retired and in the hall of fame before it was proven. They just did not remove him from the hall of fame.

Not so much that they're in the Hall of Fame (yet), but Palmeiro and Big Mac still have their HR totals..so Bonds'll likely keep his, whatever happens.

Oh, I thought Palmiero was already in the HOF. I don't really know, I just thought he was.

I don't think Palmero (Palmeriod) is in the hall...and I don't think he's getting in. The have him on record, saying that he had not taken steroids and that the allegations were false. That was most likely a complete lie because he tested positive afterward.

So it's forbidden... but they can do it and get away with it.
Yes, that is pretty much how it goes. The problem is that the players are in a union (Player's Association)...and they are protected. The do get tested but the tests are limited. Also, the cheaters are always a step ahead of the people trying to catch them. They have newer, better drugs and masking agents that give them negative tests. HGH, for example...can only be detected with a blood test, but they are only allowed to do urine tests.

Looking at the big picture, the do want to clean it up...but I don't think they really want to expose all the cheaters because the fans will be so disgusted that the league will loose revenue.

Just look back a few years. When McGuire and Sosa were breaking new home run records...everybody was excited and revenue was up. Those guys were juiced out of their minds but nobody seemed to care at the time.

The funny thing is that when they were doing an inquiry about players who were accused of using steroids...Sammy Sosa forgot how to speak English.

Well, it was certainly a side effect (or direct affect) of being questioned in front of a judge/jurry. :lol:

I don't think Palmero (Palmeriod) is in the hall...and I don't think he's getting in. The have him on record, saying that he had not taken steroids and that the allegations were false. That was most likely a complete lie because he tested positive afterward.

Yes, that is pretty much how it goes. The problem is that the players are in a union (Player's Association)...and they are protected. The do get tested but the tests are limited. Also, the cheaters are always a step ahead of the people trying to catch them. They have newer, better drugs and masking agents that give them negative tests. HGH, for example...can only be detected with a blood test, but they are only allowed to do urine tests.

Looking at the big picture, the do want to clean it up...but I don't think they really want to expose all the cheaters because the fans will be so disgusted that the league will loose revenue.

Just look back a few years. When McGuire and Sosa were breaking new home run records...everybody was excited and revenue was up. Those guys were juiced out of their minds but nobody seemed to care at the time.

The funny thing is that when they were doing an inquiry about players who were accused of using steroids...Sammy Sosa forgot how to speak English.

Yeaaaaah, Sosa is another one I can't stand. I used to like him, til I found out what he's really like, and that he was a juicer.

One thing my ex told me about Sosa: during batting practice, if it's an off day, players are supposed to shag balls (no jokes, people!) for those doing batting practice....Even amazing, long time players like Greg Maddux does his part and shags balls....but from what I was told, Sosa HIRED someone to do it for him. :roll:

And Maguire was a Cardinal. That alone automatically puts him in the 'mortal enemy' pile. :p (Diehard Cubs fan. :p )

Um, I am kind of late on this topic, but roids have only been officially forbiden and tested for in Base ball for 3 or 4 years if I remeber correctly and only because of Jose Conseco's testimony (which appears to be mostly or entirely true) did it become an issue.

Fans don't like it, but it has been a fact of life, Big Mac, Sosa, Bonds, A Rod and most every big hitter in recent history has a tainted record due to roids and HGH. I don't like it either, but it has been there. That doesn't make it right, but the only thing I can do about it is not buy tickets (only team close by is the Rockies and I am a Rangers fan, they rarely play ... interleague and all) Not support the sponsors of those athletes, (Nike etc.), some other kind of boycott, or ignore it.

It will fall again, if not to A Rod to someone else. (Griffey Jr was on track but got hurt)

My $0.02

Most reactions

New Topics

Back