Book-fair Kolkata

santanuc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Recently there held a book fair in kolkata. Every year at this time it takes place. I visted the fair on 26th Jan and 5th Feb. Here are some pics I took there that I like to share with you.

This is my first post in Critique Gallery, and I expect some very hard criticism :).

DSC00501_red.jpg

DSC00482_red.jpg

DSC00478_red.jpg

DSC00474_red.jpg

looking forward to your replies

Nice use of colour... but what are the main subjects as all the pictures seem very busy? (Pictures 2 and 3) If it is the people crouched down, or the girl, then you may want to think about reducing the DOF using a photo editing program to just include them or use selective cropping.

Do you mind if I have a play with your pictures and show you what I mean?

I'll move these over to the general gallery.

Interesting photos, but I agree with Blackswann, difficult to discern a subject in each photo.

Blackswann said:
Do you mind if I have a play with your pictures and show you what I mean?

Yup I don't mind Blackswann :).

Actually I wanted to capture the mood of the mob in the fair ground and thats all. Also the color and lighting fascinated me a lot.

Btw if I want to make the mob my subject, what should be my strategy of capturing that?

Thanks for your comments friends.

Tis very hard thing to do as the observer's eye tends to wander then get bored and lose interest. Best to do, in my op, is to choose your subject, sharply focus on him/her (someone who you feel epitomises the 'mood of the crowd') then narrow your DOF.

On the other hand you could always look for weird and unusual ways of framing your crowd (above, for example) - something that draws the eye of the observer to a particular place, person or activity.

These are just my thoughts on it... any other thoughts out there?

To me photographing a crowd means some faces not very distinguished from each other put into a proper context that determines the purpose of the gathering, e.g - the book fair. Now the transparent pyramid that you see in the above photo is the theme gallery. This year France was our theme. You can see I think that "France" is written over the gate.

I think the lady with the child in her lap can be a separate subject in her own right. In all other remaing cases I captured the mob in the context of the stalls or other feature of the fair ground.

One final question: if the very nature of the subject is restlessness/disturbance should my photo not reflect that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back