Book recommendation wanted for Canon T1i

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lazy Photographer, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Lazy Photographer

Lazy Photographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm buying a Canon T2i and want a good book to help me learn how to use it. Unfortunately there are none available yet (they're coming out this summer) so I thought I'd pick up a book for the T1i and use it in conjunction with the Canon manual. I realize the T2i has some new functions and such, but for the most part the two cameras are similar enough to make it worthwhile, I think. The two books I'm interested in are:

Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/EOS 500D Multimedia Workshop

David BuschÂ’s Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Guide to Digital SLR Photography

Does anyone have any experience with these books? Can you recommend one over the other?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lazy Photographer

Photos OK to edit
    Bumpaty bump...

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the second book, and it has been a good help for me.

4. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    War and peace was a good book :lol:

5. You will quickly find that 98% of what you need can be done by every camera, and that the functions vary only slightly in where the button can be found. Much like a car, one may have wiper functions on the left or the right of the steering wheel or on a knob on the dashboard, but all the functions are there. You'll get more use out of a book like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268650644&sr=8-1"]Understanding Exposure[/ame]. Read that, and find the functions he refers to via your manual.

Have fun.

6. Lazy Photographer

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. I'm almost finished reading Understanding Exposure - an excellent book. Just looking for something camera specific since this will be my first DSLR.

7. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Camera-specific things are best found in your camera's manual. How to use them and what to look up depends on what you want to do. I cant help but reccomend Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Books. I have volumes 2 and 3, and they are very casually written. It's very easy to follow and understand how to get the kind of shots you want. It doesnt go into technical detail; it acts more as a how-to guide that cuts straight to the point. He gives simple and straight forward advice on how to set up your camera and how to capture your shots. I would pick up volume 1 and go from there. If you have a local Barns & Nobel or other book store, you can go and flip through one before buying as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X"]Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book (9780321474049): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-2-ebook/dp/B000XPNUPO/"]Amazon.com: Digital Photography Book, Volume 2, The eBook: Scott Kelby: Kindle Store[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-3-ebook/dp/B002LVNDFA/"]Amazon.com: Digital Photography Book, Volume 3, The eBook: Scott Kelby: Kindle Store[/ame]

8. Lazy Photographer

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Matt, already ahead of you. All three Kelby books are on my book shelf waiting for me to finish Understanding Exposure. I'm also reviewing a PDF of the T2i manual as we speak.