Book

agirl316

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has there ever been a topic on photography that you could not find a good book about? I would like to write a book on photography and would like to know the most popular topic not covered well in books.

If you believe you know enough about photography to write a book on any part of the subject you obviously know a lot about it in general so you should already have a fair idea of where there's opportunities.

Thanks to the internet and your uniqueness as an individual, you can do this easier today than you could have five years ago! I'd say the best subject is your own experience, so in that sense you may have to wait until you have enough of that to write about. I was inspired last year to write an e-Book guide based on my own photography experience of having a mentor tutor me on how to transition from an amateur into a professional. Now... I know that there's countless books already written about myriad photography subjects: How-to, Equipment, Lighting, Technique, Famous Photographers, on and on the list goes. I don't recommend rehashing what's been done so thoroughly by many other qualified experts; but the one thing they don't have enough of is personal experiences. I noted this over many years time since my amateur days when I spent long hours sitting and standing in the public library looking at every photography book I could get my hands on. I learned alot about "seeing" from those books, and reinforced my knowledge of the basic techniques. But there was no real personal account that I ever saw about how a photographer went from being a wide eyed amateur to a professional in business and just how he or she did it. At least not from my position of having a young family and not having much money and needing this additional income NOW if you know what I mean.

Anyway, last year while I was researching a completely different topic other than photography and of interest to me, I found an e-Book advertisement on the internet by a guy that interested me greatly so I bought the e-Book. The information it contained was valuable to me beyond estimation and maybe saved me thousands of dollars and certainly saved me hundreds of hours. Thanks to his insight, I've been very careful with how I proceed in that area, how much I spend, what I buy, and I'm in no hurry because I'm aware of the pitfalls in that industry thanks to the author. Then I had a revelation: He was a nobody just like me but he had an unique story to tell that was of great benefit to me and I'm sure many others. He didn't have to get a publisher, prove to anybody that his book would sell, didn't even need a large potential market for his info because the internet would enable him to target his specific market.

I knew I could do the same with my own photography "mentor" experience and I even used his ad template to create my own advertisement (you can see it by clicking on my website.) It isn't a flashy ad but it's exactly like the one I responded to and more importantly, it works. It reaches the market it's intended for, amateurs whom need this advice. I'm helping people who need to know how to proceed in their portrait photography career and making a little income for my time. Mostly I guess I've fulfilled another creative quest in compiling a written narrative that someone else would take the time to read!

Best wishes on your venture,

-Tom.

The one book we recommended DAILY to people looking for a good book on photography in general that covers everything.....film types, camera types, lens types, filters, lighting, composition.....everything.

That was "They Joy Of Photography" by Kodak.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201577879/103-1078405-4595853?v=glance]Click here for description and price.[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back