Books- Digital vs. Film photography

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by flygning, May 18, 2008.

1. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is there a book out there outlining the specific differences between film and digital photography? Since I'm still a little weak on the lingo of photography, I get mixed up when comparing the two, since the same terms seem to apply to different things when talking about different mediums. I went to the library today and picked up a bunch of great looking books, but didn't see anything that might cover this specific topic.

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmm, i never really realised too much difference between the two. shutter speed is shutter speed and aperture is aperture, and focal length is focal length.

i think terms are terms and are used in the correct way for both film and digital sensors.

ok there are slight differences, such as latitude with film refers to something like dynamic range when talking digital sensors. And with digital you get noise while film has grain.

I never realised any substantial difference in terminology though. Can you give examples where you have the feeling that the same terms apply to different things?

3. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hm. Now that you ask I probably can't find examples :p

I know for one thing there have been discussions like this lately, and I read the first few lines of the thread and my head starts to hurt. The terms he uses in his question aren't referring to different things for each medium, but there is a difference, and even reading the replies I have no clue what the heck is going on. I guess this is the kinda thing I want cleared up (in dummy terms, preferably :p).

There are other things, like film equivalents to zoom in digital cameras--I think I'm pretty clear on that now, but every time I think I know someone else throws in another dimension to it.

4. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I, personally, would concentrate on learning and nailing down the medium that you use. Learn your particular nuts and bolts, be they analog or digital. Be they silver or silicon. I'm not saying to ignore the other but trying to learn both at the same time is kinda like a man from Zimbabwe trying to translate Gaelic into Navajo. Learn one or the other and it gets a whole lot easier.

5. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hehe- nice analogy :)

I think I'm at the point in my photography where I want to learn at least the parallels between film and digital. I know how to set up a good shot and use the manual settings on my camera. However, I read an article online or I read stuff in this forum, and suddenly I feel like I'm just starting over again because I don't know exactly what people are talking about. I want my photography to get to the next level, and unless I know exactly what someone means when I read something, I'll never get there.

6. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

composition, lighting, exposure, catching moments, processing, all these are waaay more important then film vs digital trivia in my opinion.

Im assuming you know digital but not film. Get a film camera and take a beginning class that covers developing and exposure for your type of film etc.. Then you will know enough. Then you can make a decision to go film if you want to. !

7. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I honestly think the film VS digital Debate has proven to be an issue as far as the creation of a book about their similarities and differences. I do not believe such a book exists.

Wile I understand christopher walraths example I dissagree somewhat. The basics of creating a photo remain the same be it digital or film, the best way to find out what one you want to really get to know is to shoot both for a wile and experiance the similarities and differences and go from there.

8. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good example here: For lack of better reading material, I was perusing a for dummies book (teehee) this afternoon. In one of the intro chapters, in a sorta "this is technical and you don't *really* wanna know what I'm talking about" little blip, the author says

"What's the difference between magnification and zoom range? Magnification deals purely with how large or small an image appears to be. For example, one lens may extend from a 28mm-85mm (35mm equivalent) magnification, a 3:1 zoom range. Another lens might go from 35mm-105mm (35mm equivalent) and also qualify as a 3:1 zoom range optic."

Okay...so why? What is the difference? Why is 35mm even mentioned? What does he *really* mean?

This isn't about knowing anything specific to my camera and my own photos. I just want to know what it all means. I'm sure once it is all explained it will make perfect sense-- which is why I was hoping there was a book or something on this subject.

9. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Rely on books for consistancy. Certain threads make everyone's head hurt. There's too much to sort out online.

IMO, TH has provided some very good advice.

10. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I agree all those things are very important, and I know about them and I'm learning more about them each time I take a photograph. And no, in the greater scheme of things, this stuff isn't that important. But it is still worth knowing. And I don't like being confused. Doesn't make me very happy...

11. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the thing to do at this point is find an additional book. In some of the subjects I study on the side, I sometimes refer to two or three different books/publications, as an explanation I can understand may lie in a combination of resources or another author.

12. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That would be helpful, if I even knew what he was talking about in that particular quote. That is just one example, in one book. I've run into this sorta thing before, where they refer to 35mm equivalents and different magnification or whatever (even on this forum), but none of the books I have really discuss why there is a difference.