"Books for Dummies"

1limited92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are they any good or in depth? For a beginner? I seen that they make one for the D5000 and was thinking about picking one up along with another photography learning book BUT if they arent very much better than the owners manual they come with than Ill spend my 20 bucks elsewhere. Thanks for any feedback as its much appreciated!

Also if that series of books arent that great is there another you recommend for learning a specific camera or at least A DSLR?

Are they any good or in depth? For a beginner? I seen that they make one for the D5000 and was thinking about picking one up along with another photography learning book BUT if they arent very much better than the owners manual they come with than Ill spend my 20 bucks elsewhere. Thanks for any feedback as its much appreciated!

Also if that series of books arent that great is there another you recommend for learning a specific camera or at least A DSLR?

Ive seen recommendations on photography books and composition, etc Im just looking for more camera and setup specific books to get to know it better.

The "dummies" books are ok, I had one for my D60 and it did help me understand things, but I've heard the "field guide" series is better... I'm sorry but the Author escapes me at the moment, but I know someone else will know.

David Bush does a lot of the Nikon Field guides

That's the guy. Thanks Mike, I couldn't think of it.

The "Magic Lantern Guides" for your specific camera body are usually very good.

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (among several of his books)

Most any of the books by Kirk Tuck, or Scott Kelby.

If you are not sure, before you buy a book, go to your local Public Library to check it out....

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good book to start with. It gives a good overview of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how combine together to give an exposure as well as going into details of how to judge what a "correct" exposure is.

Ok that's great but it's NOT what the OP was asking for.

He/She wanted a field guide written about a specific camera body.

Aside from how to access the features on a camera (most of which is covered in the manual which comes with the camera) the basics of camera control is using the aperture, shutter speed and ISO to make an exposure. Unless you can get a good understanding of how to at least control and use those elements then more of the camera's nifty features and addons will not be of much use

Here is what most people would consider to be *THE* definitive guide to the Nikon D5000 (yes, the link shows D700, but it's the D5000 page).

Complete Guide to the Nikon D700

Written by perhaps *the* premier author of Nikon System Complete Guide books. This is far,far,far more than just a rehash of the Nikon manual. I own a couple of Hogan's "Complete Guide" products,and there is nothing comparable on the market. I prefer them to the Magic Lantern Guide series titles. Thom's work is more in-depth than the Magic Lantern guides, although the Magic Lantern products are small paperbacks,and affordably priced.

Ok that's great but it's NOT what the OP was asking for.

He/She wanted a field guide written about a specific camera body.

I must not can read, because I NEVER read where the OP asked for a field guide in this thread.

I thunk I read where OP was asking about "For Dummies" and if there was anything better.

Also forgot to add anything by Thom Hogan....

Whoops, too late, thx Derrell.

Have you read the manual that came with the camera? I know that sounds stupid but I hadn't and someone was like uhm, hello? Lots of your questions are answered in it. Boring to read but I did learn my camera without spending money on another book. My manual + google and I was good.

I must not can read, because I NEVER read where the OP asked for a field guide in this thread.

Huh?

is there another you recommend for learning a specific camera or at least A DSLR?

I seen that they make one for the D5000

Sure appears he's looking for something for a specific body, which would fall under the category of field guide.... perhaps you can read, but your comprehension needs polishing;)

Have you read the manual that came with the camera? I know that sounds stupid but I hadn't and someone was like uhm, hello? Lots of your questions are answered in it.

But dummie books/idiots guides/field guides offer up more analolgies and examples that provide more comprehension as to what everything on the camera does, and how they relate.

Thanks alot for the help and advice fellas and what you said bitter jeweler is what I meant. Ive read through and glanced back through the manual but it more tells you how to or what in a very vague way.

Either way I picked up the Magic Lantern Guide w/ 80min D5000 vid, 60min photo guide, book and wallet reference AND the Understanding Exposure book by Bryan Peterson.

Thanks again and it looks like I got some reading to do! haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back