Books

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What photography books would you guys recommend for someone like me?

Now, about me...
I'm a 16 year old kid taking photography in HS (right now it's Beginner Photo; next year it will be Digital Photojournalism.) and shoot for the school paper. I'm into shooting photojournalism, sports, et cetera. Basically anything I see that I feel would look good as a picture. I'd really like to shoot events as theyre happening. For example, my school has had a bunch of rather funny catfights recently, I'd like to photograph that. Or just a crime happening (e.g., some punks beating up on someone), someone driving crazy. So, to do this, I carry the camera everywhere, including in class and in my lap while driving.

I know a lot of the basic technical stuff on photography, e.g., shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, composition. I also have a Canon XT and a Canon 650 (35mm) with a few lenses that cover most of the focal range.

I don't know if that really helps or matters, but would anyone know of any books that would be rather useful to me for what I do?

Thanks. :wink:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
The Ansel Adams series, The Camera, The Negative and The Exposure

Very good start.

Another book that I would recommend is by John Hedgecoe called "The new manual of photography". For sure Bryan Peterson "Understanding exposer", I am currently taking his course right at this very moment. I learned new tricks and other cool thing with him, and he personal will comment on the work you do with him! :thumbup::thumbup:

Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography - Bryan Peterson
Move! The Art of Action Photography - Reuters Photography
Action Photography: The Digital Photographer's Handbook - Peter Cope

I would also spend some time on Ken Rockwell's fantabulous website. I've learned more from his (FREE!) essays and tips than I have from any photography book.

I cannot recommend any books as I am a beginner myself, but I would ask that you please be careful while driving with the camera in your lap. I see and hear of to many teenagers having fatal accidents because of simple distractions.

Most reactions

Back