Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This past weekend I had the great privilege of accompanying the Boomer's Legacy Bicycle ride on the 250km, two day journey from Comox to the provincial legislature in Victoria, BC. Boomer’s Legacy was created after Corporal Andrew “Boomer” Eykelenboom, a Canadian Army medic was killed by a suicide bomber while serving in Afghanistan in 2006. The foundation was created by family and friends to Canadian Armed Forces personnel make a positive difference in the lives of others, therefore helping themselves in the process.

This year there were almost 90 cyclists and 20+ support personnel. Each rider carried one or more 'soldier cards' with the photo and biography of a Canadian Armed Forces person who has died in the service of Canada. The event started with a grave-side service at 'Boomer's grave, and finished with a reading of the honour roll.

Boomer%20(1).jpg

Boomer%20(10).jpg

Boomer%20(11).jpg

Boomer%20(12).jpg

Boomer%20(13).jpg

Boomer%20(2).jpg

Boomer%20(3).jpg

Boomer%20(4).jpg

Boomer%20(5).jpg

Boomer%20(6).jpg

Boomer%20(7).jpg

Boomer%20(8).jpg

Boomer%20(9).jpg

Thanks JC, it was an amazing event; more so because so many of the riders were regular people, not high-level athletes.

Great set, though if I had to vote on the best, it would have to be #12

NIce.

The problem with this type of stuff is getting a diversity of images, as the participants are all doing the same thing. Next time try some low shutter stuff, some panning, low shutter in a pace/support vehicle stuff, low wide angles ... et al. #9 is my fave. (What's with all the Maple leaves on the jerseys?)

Great set, though if I had to vote on the best, it would have to be #12
Thanks, I'm split between #6 and #12 myself...

NIce.

The problem with this type of stuff is getting a diversity of images, as the participants are all doing the same thing. Next time try some low shutter stuff, some panning, low shutter in a pace/support vehicle stuff, low wide angles ... et al. #9 is my fave. (What's with all the Maple leaves on the jerseys?)
The maple leaves are a symbolic representation of Canada. As far as the shots go, the images were as much for the participants as for the event, and what I tried (almost successfully) to do was capture everyone doing what they did, cycling, support, etc. It really didn't leave a lot of time for getting creative, and because I was my own chase car, I had to do all my shooting (almost) after I pulled over which didn't help either.

A worthy cause for sure. But.... as one of the hundreds, nay thousands of other travelers trying to go south on the island highway, I found it to be more than a little inconvenient. From the time I first encountered the backup (just south of Duncan) until I finally got by them took almost an hour. On the other hand I think the RCMP and the volunteers ( a veterans motorcycle club) did an awesome job of traffic control. Kudos to all.

A worthy cause for sure. But.... as one of the hundreds, nay thousands of other travelers trying to go south on the island highway, I found it to be more than a little inconvenient. From the time I first encountered the backup (just south of Duncan) until I finally got by them took almost an hour. On the other hand I think the RCMP and the volunteers ( a veterans motorcycle club) did an awesome job of traffic control. Kudos to all.
Thanks Brian; I agree on the traffic, and it was a point I made to some of the event staff; at the very least there should be readerboards along the single-lane stretches to allow people to plan their day.

Most reactions

Back