borders and signatures on photos

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by emogirl, Nov 23, 2006.

1. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

I notice that may of you post your images with a border or 'frame' around your images...who do you do that? what program?

Also...i notice that many of you have signatures on your prints....i know how to put text on an image with ps7, but how do you do a signature??

2. Andie

Andie TPF Noob!

3. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

thanks Andie...can you tell me how to do the borders with ps7....i never knew you could...the possibilites seem endless in that program.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    emo, if you have photoshop, you can do countless things relatively easily. I have 3 different versions of borders/frames that I frequently use. I prefer the simpler ones so it doesn't detract from the image, but you can do more.

The first one is what I call a floating mat. Basically, all you do is duplicate the background layer, and then highlight the BG layer again. Increase the canvas size by an inch or so, then highlight the background copy layer. To this one, right click while your cursor is over the bg copy layer in the layers pallete and choose blending options and select drop shadow. Play with the options until you find something you like.

In the second one, you basically just increase the canvas size in one color then do it again with another color. Choose image, canvas size and make sure relative is checked. Increase it as much as you like and the canvas will be the color of the bg in your current color pallete.

The third looks more complicated than it really is. I made a background copy layer, then increased the canvas size as I mentioned in the first one. On the copy layer, I chose blending options and this time chose stroke, and changed the color to make it look like a cut matte. Now flatten the layers. Then increase the canvas size again for the black 'frame'. To give it a 3d look, click on the black part with your magic wand and right click and choose layer via copy. On this layer, choose blending options and choose drop shadow. Play with the settings until you get what you want.
    Once you find something you like, create an action for it so you don't have to go through all the steps each time.

As for signatures. There are many ways to do it as there are borders. Here is a recent link that explains that too.
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64418

Hope it helps.

Example 1
    [​IMG]

Example 2
    [​IMG]

Example 3
    [​IMG]

5. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

John..thanks so much..i think i can figure that one out!

6. Andie

Andie TPF Noob!

I do mine with actions that I have found out on the web. (Free downloads). I am still pretty new at PS, but with the actions I am able to do more than I could on my own at this point.

7. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

andie thanks...i will search those out!

John..i am struggling with what is probably very simple... "the canvas will be the color of the bg in your current color pallete. " can you explain that more?

8. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    regarding the signature .. i would always to it with pen or whatever on paper.

then either scan it in, or take a photograph of it... after all we are all photographers on this forum, right? ;)

9. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    Sure. If you have tools in your dock view, you will have 2 colors in a mini pallete, one if your foreground and one is your background color (they can be whatever you like). When you go to Image/Canvas size and increase the canvas thereby making a digital matte, it uses the color currently in your background selection.

[​IMG]

10. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

thanks John, got it!

11. hart0710

hart0710 TPF Noob!

Can this also be done with photoshop elements?

12. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    I am 99% sure it can, but can't remember. I don't have elements anymore, but I would think it could. It might be in a slightly different location as far as keystrokes.