Bored and curious

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rdzmzda, Mar 21, 2010.

1. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have not done this in forever so figured I'd put up some of my work again for critique what you all think?
    Which one you like better now that I aded the last three A B C or D?
    A
    [​IMG]
    B
    [​IMG]
    C
    [​IMG]
    D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Though the selective coloring is done alright, i think i would prefer the shot if it was all black and white. usually selective color is used to draw emphasis to a point in the photo, i dont know why you want me to focus on the swing lol.

i like the shot, mind posting an all b&w or all color shot?

3. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok I added all the different versions of this photo I have

4. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    3rd.

as stated by tyler, selective coloring should be used to draw focus to the subject you want the focus to be on.

with the child being the obvious subject, the colored swing in #1 steals the spotlight, and on #2 his jacket is just way too overpowering. the color in the last is kinda funky (wish i could think of a better way to describe it, sorry). so either the 3rd, or a proper colored image would be best.

5. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since I cannot see the child's eyes, I feel this is more of a somber mood type photo. With that, I would also like to see this in black and white. Right now, I like C the best.

6. Hamtastic

Hamtastic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the blue swing photo the swing is the subject that draws the eye. I think it needs to be the boy.

The red shirt photo would be okay, but red is about the most powerful color out there. I think it's too strong. Too much of an attention grabber. It isolates my vision to the shirt, instead of the boy as a whole.

The all BW is my favorite.

I like the colorized version better than the selective color versions, but that red is still really strong. I'd tone it down, and bring a little warm color into the skin.

In my opinion selective color works best when you are coloring the main subject. If you color anything but the main subject you have turned it into the main subject. Particularly if you color it red.

Another thing to consider is that color is relative. Merely placing color next to neutral monochrome effectively causes the color to look extra saturated to the viewers' eyes. If somewhat desaturated colors are used they will still look very colorful next to the monchrome, yet not be too strong.

7. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The selective color shots do nothing for the image. They in fact detract from the face, which is important in this shot precisely because the subject isn't looking at the camera. The viewer has to strain to infer the expression based on the angle.

The last, mostly-colored/but slightly desaturated image falls on the wrong side of the 'artistic to zombie' continuum.

Stick with the black and white, it's really the strongest of the bunch.

8. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The "funky" coloring on the third one was intentional I was going for a classic kind of technicolor look not sure I quite got it. I'm thinking I may try to selective color just his face and see how that works out. Thanks for the input

9. Pablojinko

Pablojinko TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1

I think is perfect in b&w

Great shot!

10. I like the color version the best.

11. timfrommass

timfrommass TPF Noob!

Personally I love the way D came out. It's an interesting photo but the editing of the colors makes it very compelling to me anyway. I could see that at a hallmark store on the front of a card

-tim

12. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the colour version as well, but hate the grass in it. If you desaturate the green channel a bit or make it more consistently green, it will look much better IMHO.