Borrowing Ideas, sin or compliment?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I know a lot of photography relies on inspiration and some of that is borrowed, perhaps subconsciously, when we see other people's art.

I want to do a photo based on something I saw on flickr, but this amazing photographer named rebecca, who does self portraits:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebba/47807949/

SHe is freaking awesome. Seriously.

Anyway the idea I want to do is of the same model in the same picture, but in the one she is the killer, peeking around the corner at her victim, which is also her, scared and peeking around for the killer stalking her.

Am I borrowing TOO MUCH from this idea? It's something I've been wanting to do as a theme anyway, cliche' scenes from horror movies, but I never thought of doing it with the same person in BOTH roles.... until I saw the above pic.

Thoughts?

This brings up an idea I had for this forum. I was thinking it would be fun to have a "Post an impressionist photo of the person above you" thread. Each person has to post an impressionist version of a photo done by the poster above them. You would have to post the photo that person did then your version. No photoshopping of the original either. What'cha think?

d1: that is a great idea.

Big Mike: I think I will. The more I think about it the more I am positive she isn't the first to do something like this, I'm sure cloning of ones self in an image is quite popular!

Sorry RM, didn't mean to thread jack...you just reminded me with this topic.

s'al good... what do U think of my idea?

Honestly? I think its almost the same as Rebecca's photo. Also, when you say "same model in the same picture" you mean same type or actually the same model? I'm pretty sure you meant the former, unless you have that kind of network.
However, like Big Mike says, go for it! Im interested to see what you come up with and maybe it wont be anything like Rebecca's. Just my 1 cent.

Same model. The idea is to take two (or more) images and combine them!

It's a tough line to draw... I'd think whether it's a conscious decision or not everything we do is "borrowing" from the ideas of others. Just make it different enough to call it your own. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Everyone borrows. Great artists in every field have stolen ideas at one time or another. The secret is to give it your own spin.

"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal." -Pablo Picasso ;)

Besides, Rebekka definately wasn't the first photog with that idea. It was old long before Photoshop was invented.

perhaps she is a fan of Cindy Sherman

We've all done it..... see my Avatar ;)

Yeah I did that back in the film days :). Mind you by attempting to replicate someone else's work at the very least you are significantly increasing your technical competence.

Well I did it... rather, I was doing a shoot anyway and asked the model if she wouldn't mind trying it.

If I did this for real, the way I want to do it, Im going to have ripped clothes, use a better setting, and convince the model to make more evil/scared faces... this one comes of comedic.

How do you guys combine photos? I had to use MSpaint, couldnt get it in PSHOP!

514138899_5dc48dff98.jpg

Most reactions

Back