Botched editing long before Photoshop.

Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important.
- Henri Cartier-Bresson

:winksexy:

A while back the National Gallery of Art had a good exhibit on photo manipulation from the late 19th and early 20th centuries - mainly for propaganda.

One of my favorite examples is the composite of Abraham Lincoln's head on John Calhoun's body.

In the photo above, the perspective and lighting just feel so...off. The background shot was taken from an elevated position pointing down, while the photo that make up the composite of Ulysses and the horse were taken straight on.

Then again, at that time I'm sure nobody questioned it.

There were plenty of rascals in the Good Ole Days, too.

snowbear said:
A while back the National Gallery of Art had a good exhibit on photo manipulation from the late 19th and early 20th centuries - mainly for propaganda.

Yeah, I read a web story about that. Lenny's link to the U.S. Grant composite image made me wonder if, in its day, that photo might have been the forerunner of this famous meme, which I have on good authority was taken in what is today called the U.S. Virgin Islands, with a Canon 40D and 17-55mm zoom lens,Tiffen polarizing filter, and processed with Canon DPP software:

I think this might be Photoshopped meme.jpg

I collect photos of Canadian sailing ships from the 18th and 19th centuries, so to me, this one is a fabulous part of my collection.

Most reactions

Back