Boudoir shoot *Safe for all eyes* C&C Welcome

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by KAikens318, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Before you look keep in mind...

The clothing was the client's choice (I would have gone with something a little more "boudoir")

These were for his husband so please don't say they aren't masculine enough or anything, he didn't want them to be.

Thanks for any C&C!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest, I think most of these are pretty soft focus wise. I think you would have benefited with more light. Watch your ISO settings, as the last image has a lot of noise, more than I'd care to show a client.

3. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like #2 and #4. Not so sure about the processing on #1. In #3, the lighting doesn't really do anything other than detract, with the shadow on the left side of his face. #5, not so sure about the mouth. In #2, the left hand kinda comes out from no where and it may be better if you got a little more of the left armpit (many gay men find exposed armpits a very sexy thing). In #4, perhaps the bathrobe(?) could be open a bit more?

Edited to add: I just noticed the noise - I didn't have my monitor brightness turned up high enough. There's a fair amount of color noise. What was the ISO? Or maybe you just posted compressed JPGs?

4. Natalie

Natalie No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the poses are interesting, as are the way the shadows fall on the subject, but I agree with the above posters that the focus is a bit soft on most of the images. Also, the last couple photos seem to have a bit of a blue cast to them.

5. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I had to use 1000 ISO. The lighting that I used was 1 flourescent light stand with umbrella. Would have been 2 but one of my bulbs exploded when I turned the light on. For some reason I just couldn't seem to get it to expose well unless I put the shutter on one second or more and he couldn't stay still lol. I do notice the noise, I have tried to use noise ninja but can't seem to figure it out.

I am not really sure what else I can do to get crisp shots when in low light. If the ISO goes up over 600 on this camera I get a disgusting amount of noise, but I need a tripod and really long shutter speed to try and get the right amount of exposure. I have a wedding coming up and need to get practice in low light settings just in case!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

6. BuZzZeRkEr

BuZzZeRkEr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My C&C would be invest in some professional camera equipment and really study photography and lighting....alot :D

7. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Oh if only I could afford the equipment. Unfortunately that will not be in the cards for years so I have to make do with what I have.

8. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the topmost shots could benefit from a shallow depth of field. It would really help add some interest and focus to the images. I feel your lighting could be improved. For the top three it feels too dark for the subject matter. 'Dark' as in gothic or eerie. The last two the lighting feels a little unflattering. They are not bad pictures, but they all feel 30% off from where they should be. Whether that be the pose or framing or lighting. I also think this type of photography needs to be retouched and show the client in the best possible way. Good luck.

9. bennielou

bennielou TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do "Dudeior" from time to time, and I agree with Kkamin that you would benefit from a shallower depth.
    However, it's the light in these that are bugging me.
    There are shadows where there shouldn't be. And there isn't enough light on the good stuff.
    With boudior/dudeior you want to have a kind of Hollywood rim lighting if you are trying to show dark curves.
    The focus is also soft on more than a few. Prolly because you were shooting in a dark situation.
    Anyhoo, keep working at it. Grow Grow Grow!