Bought a 400D, but.......

libeco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.libeco.nl
Yesterday I made a huge step for myself by buying the Canon EOS 400D with the 18-55 kitlens, my first dSLR after I used (and will continue using) the Fuji S9500 for half a year. My first impression of the camera is: what a speed compared to the Fuji, suddenly I can take 9 pictures very fast while with the Fuji I had to wait 10 seconds to take a picture!

When in the shop I told the salesman I wanted a zoomlens with the camera and told him I saw the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM he was very surprised and told me it was better to use such a lens on a 30D otherwise it was like putting a body on a lens instead of a lens on a body. Now I wonder, is this such a strange combination? They didn't have that lens, but they did have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, which I held in my hand on a 400D body and although the balance went to the front I didn't find it that hard to hold. The salesman also added that it would be a problem on a tripod, is this true? Because while searching here on TPF I saw several topics with people having a 400D and wanted to buy such a lens. I'm still considering either the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM or the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM and waiting for your replies.

Another thing I noticed is after a day of some shooting I saw there was something like a piece of dust or a hair visible through the viewfinder, but it doesn't show up on the pictures, so it's not on the lens or sensor, but it is annoyingly visible, anybody has an idea how to remove it from where it is (mirror? vewfinder?)?

THNX in advance!

about the dust:
I have the same problem on mine, someone told me it was in the "pentafragma" or however it is called in english.
Try to not be bothered by it, I was in the beginning... As far as I know you cant clean that part of the camera unless you open the camera up... not really recommended...
you could try with compressed air though, but it didn't help for me.

About the lens:
If you've got the money and don't mind spending it the 70-200mm f2.8 L is an awesome lens, if got the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 just because I didn't have the money for the L glass...

If you're going to keep your 400D for a while I'd certainly buy it, even more if you like Canon and whenever you're going to move on you could get a 5D or whatever there is when you're moving on and keep on using your L lens ;)

I hope I didn't make too much of a mess in the post!

When in the shop I told the salesman I wanted a zoomlens with the camera and told him I saw the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM he was very surprised and told me it was better to use such a lens on a 30D otherwise it was like putting a body on a lens instead of a lens on a body. Now I wonder, is this such a strange combination?

That salesman is an idiot ...

I have a camera that weights much more than yours, but with a large telephoto lens, it is still putting the camera on the lens.

They didn't have that lens, but they did have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L,

Ahh, here we go, he wanted to sell the lenses he has in stock ...

which I held in my hand on a 400D body and although the balance went to the front I didn't find it that hard to hold.

The balance always goes to the front with larger lenses.

The salesman also added that it would be a problem on a tripod, is this true?

With heavy lenses, a tripod collar is a good idea (with the really heavy lenses the only option anyway). then you attach the lens to the tripod, and the camera body to the lens. that is the way it should be and there is nothing odd about it.

as for the dust you see through the viewfinder, if it really annoys you and you do not dare to clean it yourself (blower only), why not give your camera and canon lenses to be adjusted by canon. within the first year of your purchase it is a one time free service, and you get the camera back cleaner than it ever was.

depending where in the netherlands you are, Canon at Willich in Germany might be an option to go there personally.

Thanks for the replies. The salesman wasn't trying to sell me that lens, I asked for it because I thought it was about the same size so I could feel the camera + lens in my hand myself to see if it was true what he was saying.

As for the tripod collar; does a collar come with a lens or is it a seperate part? http://www.digitalstreet.nl/popup_image.php?pID=445 This is an image on a webshop where I consider buying that lens. Secondly, how is it attached to a tripod. I have a very simple tripod http://www.digitalstreet.nl/popup_image.php?pID=1601 with a screw to go into the camera (or battery grip), can it be attached to such a lens (collar) or do I need to get myself a better tripod?

Finally, about the dust, I have a can of high compressed air spray, but when sprayed on a surface it shortly leaves some liquid/moist (don't really know the english word) which disappears within seconds, should I use something like this in the camera, or is it better to just use something like this http://www.digitalstreet.nl/popup_image.php?pID=1140

Thanks!

Could also get a battery grip to make it more stable with the longer lenses on it!

As for the tripod collar; does a collar come with a lens or is it a seperate part?

For some lenses the collar is included in the package, but I think the lens you think of does not come with it. So you have to buy it separatly most likely.

I have a very simple tripod http://www.digitalstreet.nl/popup_image.php?pID=1601 with a screw to go into the camera (or battery grip), can it be attached to such a lens (collar) or do I need to get myself a better tripod?
Getting a better tripod is always a good idea .. good means stable and dampig vibrations effectively. But first you might be able to survive with what you have. If the camera can be attached to the tripod head, then the collar can be attached to, it works the same way.

Finally, about the dust, I have a can of high compressed air spray, but when sprayed on a surface it shortly leaves some liquid/moist (don't really know the english word) which disappears within seconds,
Canned air often contains lots of other thingsd which you do not want to have on your mirror or anywhere inside your camera: even oil and other nasty things. You would not see those with your bare eye though ...

What you see, more sounds like liquid gas which then evaporates quickly. as this gives you locally some very low temperature, that is not healthy for glass or sensors. It means that you probably hold your gas outlet too close to the surface you spray at.

I would use a strong bulb blower only. and do it in a clean room, with little dust, else you just get more dirt into the camera. A little hint in case you have no rather clean room and there is dust everywhere. If you have a small (!) bathroom with a shower, then close the door, let the shower run for a while (not steaming hot). That gets rid of some of the dust in the air. But make sure the air does not get really damp, since then your dust gets damp and very sticky ;)

should I use something like this in the camera, or is it better to just use something like this http://www.digitalstreet.nl/popup_image.php?pID=1140
That is a good blower, I got the same one.

oh, and keep in mind: a tripod only makes sense when you use a cable or wireless release, or at least the self timer.

Could also get a battery grip to make it more stable with the longer lenses on it!

It wont be more stable then... it just gives you a better feeling in your hands maybe, but the forces acting on the lens mount when you hold the thing by the camera, stay the same.

I have a 400D, and I think you should get the 70-200 2.8, especially if you are going to stay with Canon and eventually upgrade to a 5D (or Mark III :) ).

I have a 24-105mm L, it's a great lens and I plan on using it when I eventually upgrade.

And, the 2.8 will deninitely be awesome to have.

Thnx for the reply, but I already bought one with the camera yesterday :)

good choice with the battery grip. I feel the rebel series need the battery grip because they are so small, and the grip gives them a more positive feeling, at least for my somewhat large hands.

And alex, I think with the battery grip he was implying it would help on a tripod because of better weight distribution, with more weight being at the body due to the grip.

Good choice in camera, and you've got expensive taste in lenses.

Thnx!

Well, I've worked hard the past three years without spending that much so I just want to invest a little in something that is going from a hobby to an obsession more and more. When the weekend is almost finished I already look at the weatherforecast for the next weekend to see if I can go out taking pictures. :D

Can't wait to go out and abuse the 400D + lens this summer for a few weeks before I go back studying next year!

Although I have quite small hands I really like the battery grip in portrait-pictures and I there's nothing wrong with it in landscape either, add the extra possibility of normal AA-batteries and it's worth the cost! :)

Thnx!

Well, I've worked hard the past three years without spending that much so I just want to invest a little in something that is going from a hobby to an obsession more and more. When the weekend is almost finished I already look at the weatherforecast for the next weekend to see if I can go out taking pictures. :D

Can't wait to go out and abuse the 400D + lens this summer for a few weeks before I go back studying next year!

Although I have quite small hands I really like the battery grip in portrait-pictures and I there's nothing wrong with it in landscape either, add the extra possibility of normal AA-batteries and it's worth the cost! :)

Ain't that the truth. My girlfriend and I both agree I am addicted to this site. If only I was this eager to learn about school...

Pick up a 50 f/1.8 or 1.4 (if you can spare the cost for the better build quality and faster glass) and then you can take pictures indoors when its raining. Not to mention, the 1.8 is about 100 bucks and is arguably the best bang for the buck as far as glass goes.

Doesn't seem to expensive indeed but I wonder besides the F/1.8, is the image quality much better than the kitlens (18-55) at 50mm?

Most reactions

Back