Bought my first dslr!

pbrr1der

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm super excited to say that I finally bought one. I got a nikon d5000 with the kit lens, a 55-200mm f4-5.6 vr lens, the nikon starter bag, a backpack bag, adobe photoshop elements 8 and premiere 8, acdsee, and some framing software.

Photos to come soon!

I tried playing with elements and im gonna need all the help I can get to learn that program. Any suggestions would be welcome on reading material or anything that would help me with this program! Actually any advice on all my programs would be lovely!

Awesome! Enjoy that new camera experience!!!!

Reading the manual is always a good idea; it's amazing how much information is actually in the documentation provided by the manufacturers of various products. it takes a while to actually read the manuals, but doing so really can help. On the other hand, sometimes technical writers and on-line instructional sources assume knowledge that a beginner might not have, so some of the "For Dummies" books can actually be really helpful.

If you have not used Elements, or a d-slr, there **is** a serious learning curve. Don't get frustrated...Rome wasn't built in a day--it took centuries. MY feeling is that some people learn by doing, while others can learn from reading, or on-line tutorials, and some people can learn from many sources. If you're a book-learner, I think the John Hedgcoe books, written in the 70's and 80's, are some of the best How-To-Shoot lessons for beginners. Do not worry that the books are pre-digital, since that is of little importance. Learning how a camera works, and how to look for lighting situations,and how to actually use a camera are areas where the many John Hedgecoe books can help a beginner see various approaches to problem-solving, and how to actually USE THE CAMERA to get solid, fundamental images.

Have fun. Work on timing your shots. RTFM. Have fun. Accept that it will take a bit of time. Keep an open mind. Enjoy! Celebrate your successes, and try and learn from your failures.

1. Read the manual. I also have a D5000, and most of my basic questions were covered just by reading the manual front to back.

2. Don't be afraid to fail. A lot of my early pictures were horrible (and still are!). Don't be afraid of bad shots. Love them. Post them for C&C. Taking 100 photos and failing on 99 of them is better than taking 1 photo that's perfect, because the more you fail, the more you will learn.

3. Be humble. Don't get yourself into thinking that the $1,000 of gear you just bought will make you a professional. It won't. Only years of practice and a good artistic eye can do that.

4. Above all, have fun!

I think you need another bag for all your bags.

Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning PSE.

Reading and doing is your friend when it comes to DSLR photography.

p!nK

Ahhh I remember the new camera smell. It definitely was a moment to remember getting your first DSLR. Take care of it and listen to what the people above me offered for advice.

I think you need another bag for all your bags.

Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning PSE.

Reading and doing is your friend when it comes to DSLR photography.

p!nK

Lol, I actually told the guy at the shop that I didn't want the bag that came with the package they offered and I asked him if he could just give me credits towards the one I wanted. He ended up giving me the bag it came with anyways and 25 percent off the one I wanted!

I've actually read 2 books from Tom Ang, one was called Fundamentals of Photography, and the other was called Digital Photography and I read a book from Alan Hess called Exposure Digital Field Guide. I just bought the Digital Field Guide from him on the D5000. I also already read the manuel. lol.

I'm going to post a pic or two in a minute once I upload them to flickr.

Here is some pics from a little shoot I did with my buddies cobra. Most pictures were shot in manuel or aperature priority

1. I have this picture in portriat style framing and like it better but it is a little over exposed and I lost a little detail on his car. But I like that framing better than this one.
4593392181_6336669965_b.jpg

2. I like this one alot, besides the fact that it shows off his primered bumper.
4594010090_b190084d56_b.jpg

4593397255_c06401c391_b.jpg

Over all I am pleased with these photos. All of them are unedited and JPEG normal. I shot these in RAW+jpeg so I also have RAW copies of these to learn with on photoshop.

I like the composition of picture 2 but the setting detracts from the car. Somewhere else is needed.

Like? Downtown somewhere? or somethin along them lines?

I am so much of a noob I still dont have my camera!

But in number 2 it might of worked better with the wheel aimed more into the wheel arch?

Nice to see how nice the quality is on the d5000, should be getting one on monday :p

Keep up the good work :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back