Bounce Flash

dezmaas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a flashgun that can tilt but cannot swivel. Using bounce flash off a white ceiling while taking portrait photos horizontally is ok, but when holding the camera vertically then the flash will only bounce off the wall and not the ceiling.

My question is: if this wall is a light colour, will the bounce flash on the model still be suitable? Obviously if the wall is not white then there's gonna be problems with the colour of the wall being projected on the model.

What are the best possibilities, other than buying a new flash, of deflecting the light upwards towards the ceiling?

you could get a cord and use your flash off camera. i had the same problem, so i got a hot shoe extension cord kinda thing.

Skyeg said:
you could get a cord and use your flash off camera. i had the same problem, so i got a hot shoe extension cord kinda thing.
I would do this, myself. Plus I think I prefer a diffuser rather than using the ceiling. Light directly down from above can give weird shadows under the eyebrow ridges, nose, and chin. I would either use a stand or have someone hold the flash off to the left and up some, or if you still want to bounce, have the flash back a bit from the subject. This is hopefully where you will be anyway, as wide-angle lenses suck for portraits.

i agree with markc. i usualying use a big soft box on my flashes and have it up and to the side like he said. bouncing is just a quick easy way to get better results than a direct flash, but shouldnt be your ideal lighting setup.

Are diffusers like the Lumiquest Pocker Bouncer, Soft Box, or ultrasoft any good?

dezmaas said:
Are diffusers like the Lumiquest Pocker Bouncer, Soft Box, or ultrasoft any good?

I bought several Lumiquest flash accessories when I worked at a camera shop (employee discount). I think they work great, although they aren't really very complicated, and similar products could probably be fabricated at home for a fraction of the cost.

If I were to use one of the on flash diffusers or a home made one (milk jug) would the flash then be aimed at the subject or should it still be bounced?

I'm guessing that the range of the flash would be reduced due to the diffused light, however the light would now be less harsh so could be aimed direct?

Look around your local arts and crafts store and you'll find all sorts of stuff that can be velcroed onto your flash. I've made all sorts of flash head monstrosities, errrrr, accessories out of tranluscent vinyl, cardboard, duct tape, velcro, etc... It ain't purty, but it works just the same for cheap.

dezmaas said:
If I were to use one of the on flash diffusers or a home made one (milk jug) would the flash then be aimed at the subject or should it still be bounced?

I'm guessing that the range of the flash would be reduced due to the diffused light, however the light would now be less harsh so could be aimed direct?

I would take the flash off the camera but then point it at the subject. And yeah, it does reduce it's output/range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back