Bowling ball

Eneg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$ball.jpg

Pro Optic 8mm Fisheye on Nikon D90.

Most scenes shot with extreme wide angle lenses are HDR by nature.
$ball2.jpg

"Unblued"

Last edited:
The ball or the photograph ? ;)

Greens are way to electric and the composition really is not good. The sky is kinda whacky over all this does nothing for me. I hate to say but, its just not a good HDR IMO.

not really understanding
"Most scenes shot with extreme wide angle lenses are HDR by nature"...........WHY?

*Sigh*

"Greens are way to(o) electric."

You live in Tucson so I wonder if you've ever seen the greens of full spring in New England.

"the composition really is not good"

The composition that you find "not good" was meant to be whimsical. You know. The ridiculous combination of nature and a bowling ball. Humor, see ?

"Not good" is a meaningless critique of just about anything. But in comparison to "kinda whacky" it borders on brilliant !

"its just not a good HDR"

The dynamic range of the subject covered about nine zones. I believe that qualifies as a high dynamic range (HDR.) How could it be a not good HDR if it covers nine zones ?

Perhaps you were substituting "HDR" for "HDR photograph." It's common to see this kind of mistake as people like to use contractions. If this is the case, than you should have written: "it's not a good HDR photograph." While grammatically correct, it's still meaningless because "good" isn't defined.

Clear writing is vanishing from society at an alarming rate.

Eneg,

I really like the idea. What I would do to improve on it is make the bowling ball a little more the center of attention. Bring it closer, make it bigger, and perhaps try to get the camera on ground level with the ball. The greens are a little over-saturated, but all in all, its a very creative and interesting idea and composition.

Care to elaborate on that?

To elaborate on VIPGRAFX's feelings about the composition:

It isn't a well composed shot. The POI (point of interest) is centered in the frame, and it takes up maybe 1/32nd of the actual image. If you hadn't told us that it were a bowling ball, no one would have known.

There are a lot of extraneous distracting elements that detract from really focusing in on the juxtaposition of the bowling ball in the frame. If you want to exhibit juxtaposition, you should do so in a more thought out way. The way it is right now does not come across as "whimsical." It does however come across as "not thought out."

Speaking to the color of the image, I can honestly say that in my 23 years of living in and traveling around New England, never have I ever seen trees and bushes with that amount of blue in them. Unless the New England that you speak of is also a region of Pandora from Avatar. In that respect, the HDR is not well done because it doesn't accurately represent the tonal range of the image, and the colors that are contained within it.

Well you see very wide angle lenses have very wide coverage and as such they typically present the photographer with a high dynamic range scene (HDR.) I think you're confusing "HDR" with "HDR photograph." For example if you looked at a high dynamic range photograph you'd likely call the photograph "an HDR." I'd call it an HDR photograph.

So lets review. Since very wide angle lenses very often present the photographer with a wide range of light levels in his scene, a photograph taken with such a lens would by nature have a HDR (high dynamic range.)

Photography 101.

Care to elaborate on that?

Last edited:
I think lots of people knew it was a bowling ball.

"Pandora from Avatar." What the heck does that mean ?

23 years. Enough said.

It isn't a well composed shot. The POI (point of interest) is centered in the frame, and it takes up maybe 1/32nd of the actual image. If you hadn't told us that it were a bowling ball, no one would have known.

There are a lot of extraneous distracting elements that detract from really focusing in on the juxtaposition of the bowling ball in the frame. If you want to exhibit juxtaposition, you should do so in a more thought out way. The way it is right now does not come across as "whimsical." It does however come across as "not thought out."

Speaking to the color of the image, I can honestly say that in my 23 years of living in and traveling around New England, never have I ever seen trees and bushes with that amount of blue in them. Unless the New England that you speak of is also a region of Pandora from Avatar. In that respect, the HDR is not well done because it doesn't accurately represent the tonal range of the image, and the colors that are contained within it.

23 years. Enough said.

Yes, 23 years of my life have been spent in Maine and New England. I've done a fair amount of traveling around, and never seen colors that look in any way similar to what you have there. There are no blues in tree leaves, sorry. I think 23 years is more than an adequate amount of time to make that assertion, thank you.

If you've been shut off from the outside world since 2009, you may not have heard of Avatar. In that case: IMDb - Avatar (2009)
No, it's not easy to tell that it's a bowling ball. You labeled the thread "bowling ball" and that is the only indication I have received that there is a ball with three finger holes drilled in it used for sliding down a waxed up lane with pins at the end. Like I said, 1/32nd of the frame is not enough to do the subject justice in terms of juxtaposition, and the centered composition does nothing but harm the image.

Are you so good at photography that you're above critique? That's the way it seems to me. No need to get defensive. The more you do, the more you'll get put in your place. This image has a long way to go before it 'works' for anyone but yourself.

If you were more receptive to critique, your photography would improve over time. It doesn't seem like that's the way you operate though.

Just sayin'.

"Put in your place." That's funny.

23 years. Enough said.

Yes, 23 years of my life have been spent in Maine and New England. I've done a fair amount of traveling around, and never seen colors that look in any way similar to what you have there. There are no blues in tree leaves, sorry. I think 23 years is more than an adequate amount of time to make that assertion, thank you.

If you've been shut off from the outside world since 2009, you may not have heard of Avatar. In that case: IMDb - Avatar (2009)
No, it's not easy to tell that it's a bowling ball. You labeled the thread "bowling ball" and that is the only indication I have received that there is a ball with three finger holes drilled in it used for sliding down a waxed up lane with pins at the end. Like I said, 1/32nd of the frame is not enough to do the subject justice in terms of juxtaposition, and the centered composition does nothing but harm the image.

Are you so good at photography that you're above critique? That's the way it seems to me. No need to get defensive. The more you do, the more you'll get put in your place. This image has a long way to go before it 'works' for anyone but yourself.

If you were more receptive to critique, your photography would improve over time. It doesn't seem like that's the way you operate though.

Just sayin'.

Well you see very wide angle lenses have very wide coverage and as such they typically present the photographer with a high dynamic range scene (HDR.) I think you're confusing "HDR" with "HDR photograph." For example if you looked at a high dynamic range photograph you'd likely call the photograph "an HDR." I'd call it an HDR photograph.

So lets review. Since very wide angle lenses very often present the photographer with a wide range of light levels in his scene, a photograph taken with such a lens would by nature have a HDR (high dynamic range.)

Photography 101.

I think... Ugh, never mind. :roll:

Bizarre extreme colors, nothing close to reality in any part of the world. If you think those are correct colors then it's time to get a new monitor.

If you want to use a wide angle for something like this you should use it to enhance and show your subject matter better. Since you title this one "bowling ball", one would expect the ball the be the main focal point of the image, instead it's inconsequential leaving too much dead space in the foreground. A better thought for this would be to move closer to the bowling ball, making it the focal point of the image but let the wide angle include the rest of the elements behind it.

Lastly, welcome to the forum. But if you are going to post images you really should be ready to accept critiques and comments even when they don't agree with your view of things. Take what you can from them and disregard the rest.

Photography 101.

I think... Ugh, never mind. :roll:

Isn't it fun to read posts from someone with less photographic knowledge than you do, yet they feel like they are infallible in the world of photography?

Most reactions

Back