Boxcar (black and white conversion)

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
I'm not completely sure about this one. I personally really like it, but I'm not too sure how others will react to it. What do you think of 1) the composition, 2) the blown out sky, and 3) the conversion?

Boxcar.jpg

I think it's a great capture! Very exciting, I love it. :thumbup:

Now here's what's wrong with it..... :lol: I'm kidding, just some minor nitpicks: the sky is too flat and blown to add any visual interest. Just crop out some along the top to pull the viewer's eye back down. I was initially thinking to crop some along the bottom, as well, but I've decided I like it, as is.

The image itself is a little dark. Any way to light it without losing detail or getting washed out? Do that and you will have a fantastic image. Nice job!:D

I agree with Terri but would add that it needs a broader range of tones...more contrast in it. Right now it's overall grey, but if you bump the contrast that should give some dark blacks and white whites...love everything else :)

How's this? I cropped out some of the sky and did a bit more curve work to lighten the rock pile and darken the shadows.
BoxcarEdit.jpg

*edit* I forgot to thank Amanda and Terri for their critique. Thanks!

Much better!!! Great job with the conversion and the crop!!!

bumping the curves and cropping is definately a significant improvement. imo, i don't see anything you can do to enhance this further, except, how would it look if the equipment box posts were plumb?

nice conversion.

Sooooo much better! :thumbup: Now we have better detail on the box car, and the tonal values are great. Very nice job. :)

Most reactions

Back