--Boxer Turtle-- Week 19: "Rainbow of Color" and "Water" Submissions and final voting

Vote Now! ('Rainbow of Color', and 'Water')

• Defy - Colors Reflected in Water

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Winston Deckard - Rainbow Markers

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Mooimeisie - Rainbow in the Sky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kundalini - Swamp Sunrise

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • leighthal - Rainbow Drowning

• Chris of Arabia - Rainbow Worlds

• Antarctican - Rainbow Colored Kayaks

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was a tough one to vote on!!!! ...Great job you guys!!!!!!!

:O)

I was downloading tonights shots from the animal shelter and decided to check in.

WOW, thanks folks...... very appreciative for the honor.

Also a big congrats to all the other entrants. Some very good shots inded.

In case anyone is interested..... Shot Info
I arrived at the swamp at 5:30am Sunday morning....... WITHOUT COFFEE!!! :shock: I had bought a little one man raft to stow my gear as I waded through the bog. By the time I had put the waders on, loaded the gear, tethered the raft and walked out a couple hundred yards, nearly an hour had passed. I was in clear water (on the surface) and looked to my right. And then this result.

EXIF DATA:
2009/06/14 06:24:55.1
Nikon D300 with Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 lens.
Focal Length: 12mm
Apeture: f/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
ISO: 200
White Balance: Cloudy
Exposure Comp: -0.3

Thanks again. Have a drink on me! :biggrin:

Nice to read your story about that shot, kundalini! It shows that often there is a lot of effort behind a single shot that isn't easily perceived by viewers. Thanks also for the EXIF data, it is useful, at least for me! By the way, in this sort of picture I would normally try to shoot with smaller apertures, why did you use f/4.5 ? Also, what kind of PP did you do?

Don't get me wrong, I love your shot and I agree that it's the best of all the submitted shots (congrats on your win, by the way :thumbup:) I just would like to learn something from your good results. :D

Nice to read your story about that shot, kundalini! It shows that often there is a lot of effort behind a single shot that isn't easily perceived by viewers. Thanks also for the EXIF data, it is useful, at least for me! By the way, in this sort of picture I would normally try to shoot with smaller apertures, why did you use f/4.5 ? Also, what kind of PP did you do?

Don't get me wrong, I love your shot and I agree that it's the best of all the submitted shots (congrats on your win, by the way :thumbup:) I just would like to learn something from your good results. :D
Cheers Winston.

Good questions.
With this particular lens, the DoF is very deep even wide open, I can't remember ever needing more then f/8 to get distant objects in focus. For this shot, I felt shutter speed was more critical than aperture because I had very unstable footing being waist deep in water, slight current and all kinds of crap underneath me. I also wanted to slightly overexpose by 1/3 to 2/3 stops. With SS at 1/200s to help avoid camera shake, f/4.5 gave me that exposure.

I use Lighroom II pretty much for the majority of my PP and only tweak and clean up in CNX and PS Elements. The reason I wanted to overexpose is that I have found that I am getting much better results by being able to bring the exposure slider down and the colors come out better (for me). Then it was just a matter of the usual small adjustments. I did bump the saturation of certain colors and then bring down their respective luminosity. About five minutes, certainly less than 10 minutes worth of work altogether.

Ok, thanks! I guess shooting at 12 mm really gives you good DoF! And given the conditions you had you certainly had to keep shutter speed high.

Your information about overexposing and PP is very interesting. I'll surely try that as soon as I can. I use Photoshop myself but I'm sure the same sort of PP can be done there. I'm currently waiting for an already ordered Tokina 12-24mm so your input is making me even more eager to get my hands on the new baby! :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back