Boxing

SnapLocally

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took these at The Target Center in Minneapolis last night:

The photographer pictured was there to take photos of his son, who was the overwhelming favorite to win this fight. That didn't happen. He was beat down in 30 seconds of round 1.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

This fight also ended just after the bell of first round. The boxer left standing didn't hear the bell, kept swinging, and knocked his opponent out cold. And then a fight started.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And these are just some random action shots I liked:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Thank you.

I only use ambient lighting at any venue I shoot in, no matter how dark, dingy, dungeon-esque. Part of being professional is not tailoring your environment to your needs, and capturing the action as it happened.

The "photographer" in the shot above may be a 30 year veteran, but doing the same thing year after year doesn't make you experienced if you don't learn along the way; he's just been redoing year one 29 too many times.

Tremendous shots :thumbup: As said earlier, the lighting seems "ideal" but I know it's not. Do you use zooms or primes ? Either way great work.

Thanks. I'm partial to primes. I was going to shoot with my Tamron 17-50, but the light wasn't wasn't going to allow me the spped I needed without resorting to iso 3200, so I stuck with a prime and kept my iso down at 1600.

Thanks. I'm partial to primes. I was going to shoot with my Tamron 17-50, but the light wasn't wasn't going to allow me the spped I needed without resorting to iso 3200, so I stuck with a prime and kept my iso down at 1600.

I had a feeling you used a prime, so sharp :thumbup: again, nice work.

Those are great shots. Pic 6 looks a little subdued considering the action I know is going on in the ring.... except, of course, the guy gettin choked in the ropes. Awesome.

I saw you on fredmiranda but I don't have an account to post there

Love your shots especially 8 and 10

way way waaaay better than my K1 snaps.....

then again I didn't get ringside being the new boy in town, camera position for non-ringside is 45 yards back from the ring!

Which body did you shoot?

I get the impression that lighting at these events is very toppy, would you agree?

If by "toppy" you mean illuminating the action while dimming the house lights, then yes.

This venue has some of the best lighting I've ever worked in, and even though they only used half of what they normally use for this particular event, it was still twice as bright as most other venues in the area.

by toppy I meant all from the top.....I see there's a bit reflected from the floor of the ring

Most reactions

Back