BOY I NEED YOUR 2 CENTS!!

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, I`m pretty new here but I`ve been doing a lot of reading....

I`m getting a new digital camera, soon (like maybe Monday).
I would love to hear pro and con about them before I smack down my hard earned bucks. This purchase is a big deal to me, I`m very limited in funds so the camera has to be the right choice or I`m dead in the water.... I make dolls and sell on ebay for a living. The competition is fierce for this line of business I`m in. So I need a camera that will take very clear, accurately colored pictures. I need pictures that I don`t need to take to photo shop constantly and adjust the hues spend hours tweaking. All of my photography will be indoors. I have photo lamps, tent, etc... but my main concern is I get a really good camera that accurately depicts the color I see. I have about $650.00 to spend. Here are my considerations.

(If you have other ideas please let me know because I`m mostly going by expert and consumer ratings on the internet.)

Canon EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT Digital SLR,
8 Megapixels

OR
Fuji FinePix S6000fd Digital Camera, 6.3 Megapixels

I have some knowledge about SLR`S I have an old Minolta slr film camera, that I haven`t used in about 4 years.

So what do you think?
Please help me I really need your expert advise and non expert advise.

I just recently purchased the XTi and I'm really happy with it-- as a beginner, new to DSLRs and photography in general. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with the XT, especially for what you're doing. I'm not an expert (by a long shot!) but from what I've learned here what will me more important than the body will be the lenses you buy...I think that to get a quality lens for what you're doing might bust your budget (but I could be totally wrong!).

I also have a fuji finepix s7000...my first camera which I've had for the past few years. It's been a great camera and I would recommend it for anyone. I don't know much about the s6000fd...but from the blurbs I just read it's "dslr-like", as is my s7000 (which are going for about 200-300$ on ebay now--it's "old" but a very decent camera in my opinion). If your main purpose is photos of your dolls for ebay, I think that the fuji you want would serve you well...

but keep in mind I'm not an expert, I just own cameras quite similar to these :)

Good luck!

if you want to make sure the colors are all totally right, you might want to consider getting a color calibrator for your screen.
It is unreal how much the monitors can be wrong in color.

I have the pantone huey callibrator mine cost 74 shipped to the door. it took it about 1.5 minutes, and it also has the ability to adjust the screen in interavals for the amount of light in the room.
I also have the digitial rebel xti, and i love it. Iv read the xt is great camera too. I had been researching them for years before I finally got one.

I would love to hear pro and con about them before I smack down my hard earned bucks. This purchase is a big deal to me, I`m very limited in funds so the camera has to be the right choice or I`m dead in the water.... I make dolls and sell on ebay for a living. The competition is fierce for this line of business I`m in. So I need a camera that will take very clear, accurately colored pictures. I need pictures that I don`t need to take to photo shop constantly and adjust the hues spend hours tweaking. All of my photography will be indoors. I have photo lamps, tent, etc... but my main concern is I get a really good camera that accurately depicts the color I see. I have about $650.00 to spend. Here are my considerations.

(If you have other ideas please let me know because I`m mostly going by expert and consumer ratings on the internet.)

8 Megapixels

OR

I have some knowledge about SLR`S I have an old Minolta slr film camera, that I haven`t used in about 4 years.

So what do you think?

Check out the Sony DSLR, It has a Minolta lens mount and your old lens may be compatible. Bring a lens to the store and try it. I use the orginal Digital Rebel.

Any Camera that shots in RAW will be able to produce accurate colors. But, if you are using the pictures as a main selling point, I'd make sure I go DSLR over point and shoot because of the DOF and other creative abilities. Also factor in the lens you are going to need, because those can get expensive too, but I imagine a 50mm 1.8 will work fine for your needs.

Thanks everyone for your help, i have a question,
The Fujifilm camera is sort a point shoot, but it shoots RAW so does that mean its still in the running to be considered? Or should I just kick it out of the running, i think my Minolta lens will work with the Sony... i just don`t know what direction to go in.

It depends, the S series of Fuji's point and shots take nice pictures (girlfriend has the 5100 4mp) but for the really creative pictures such as blurred backgrounds from short depth of field, an SLR is going to be the best choice. Just depends if you want to spend the money for it.

But yes, with RAW you can go in after taking the picture and change your white balance so that the colors are accurate, and with post processing there isn't much you cant do to the colors.

As for you lens, yes the Sony uses the Minolta mount, so your lens will work, but if it is just a cheap kit type lens, it really isn't worth letting that one minor thing influence your choice. Not that the Alpha isn't a good camera, its a damn good camera for the money you spend.

I don`t know if my lens are cheap or not. I bought them years ago. They are Marked Minolta, i did pay a couple hundred for one of them a long time ago. you won`t hurt my feelings if you say they are no good... and my old camera is the 7xi.

I don`t know if my lens are cheap or not. I bought them years ago. They are Marked Minolta, i did pay a couple hundred for one of them a long time ago. you won`t hurt my feelings if you say they are no good... and my old camera is the 7xi.

if you post the markings on the barrel someone could tell you the quality of the lens, but just knownig you bought them a few years ago doesnt really help, since the majority of the "best" and "worst" lenses were available a few years ago.

Focal length, aperture, and any other markings on the lens would help identify it would help figure the quality.

Your commnet made me get out my 7xi and wish I had a roll fo film.
It has a great feel to it, Oh well, back in the case it goes. But maybe I will see if the lens will fit the Sony, Then I can sell them and buy more toys for my Digital Rebel.:D

8 Megapixels

OR

So what do you think?

Well, I might also add the Nikon D40 and the Pentax K100 to your list. Both very capable camera's and the K100 his image stabilization to boot.
I own both Canon and Pentax bodies. The XT(350) renders colour very well as does the Pentax. I don't own the K100 but the K10D's, however the colour rendition is similar. I wouldn't consider the Fuji as it is not a DSLR, therefore your options to expand are nonexistent.

Ben

I`m going to edit this a little later and put in my Minolta numbers on my lens...

but now I have another question, about the Fuji, its not a DSLR... but the lens is 28 to 300. I`m sort of thinking that, there isn`t really much room for expansion, and do I need expansion on that? And one other little thing, a friend of mine has a Consumer Reports subscription and told me that the Fugi mentioned above is rated #1. For the longest time I wanted to go DSLR... for the lens change capabilities, but now I`m wondering if I need to with the Fuji. Or are the Fuji lens crap and thats why i should go with a DSLR?

Ok, well, when i get my little one off to school i`ll dig my camera bag out of the attic and post the lens info...

Minolta Lens info...
Minolta (Japan) AF 28-80, ZOOMxi, 0.8m/2.6ft,
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-...oryZ3342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
this isn`t my auction but its my EXACT LENS.

and

Minolta (Japan) AF 100-300, ZOOMxi, 1.5m/4.9ft macro
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-...oryZ3342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
this isn`t my auction but its my EXACT LENS.
Ok, now I sit and wait for the verdict.

THANKS BUNCHES FOR YOUR ADVICE!! Now I`m even more confused then ever..... hehehehehe... what to do, what to doooooooooooo..

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fuji make very good lenses, but the problem is not the brand but the fact that this particular lens is a 10x zoom. By the way it's not 28-300mm; that's just the "equivalent" given for comparison with lenses used with 35mm film. Anyway a 10x zoom, whoever it's made by, inherently has to make a lot of compromises; because it is designed to cover such a large range of focal lengths it won't be the best at any one - and you are especially likely to run into distortion or various other issues at both the short and the long ends of the lens. But mainly the problem isn't that the lens isn't good but that you are stuck with that lens. With a dSLR system you would have access to... super-wides and even longer telephotos (focal lengths not covered by the Fuji lens), lenses within the Fuji's zoom's range but better or faster, dedicated macro lenses or other special purpose lenses - not to mention a range of flashes and other accessories not available with the fixed-lens camera. In addition, the Fuji uses a smaller sensor than current dSLRs and will most likely not handle digital noise as well at high sensitivity (ISO).

Having said all that, I think Fuji make great fixed-lens models and if that were the sort of camera you were looking for then the S6000 would definitely be one of the best. But personally I would still choose a dSLR system not only for quality but for flexibility.

As for those Minolta lenses, they are probably ok zooms but you're not heavily invested in the Minolta lens mount so you still have plenty of choice as far as dSLR systems go.

Like mentioned about, you make sacrifices either way you go. With a point and shoot you sacrifice the lens selection of an SLR, and you sacrifice some quality for convienence. As a result, many point and shoots will show chromatic aberations and purple fringing around high contrast areas, and this is simply due to the lens covering such a wide range.

As far as point and shoots go, Fuji does a great job, but with an SLR you will certainly have more control.

Most reactions

Back