Bracketing - What is

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Jess, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Jess

Jess TPF Noob!

What does it mean when you are 'Bracketing Film' ??

2. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

Bracketing is basically shooting the same scene with different exposure values to more ensure you get a correct exposure or choose from different exposure for the best photo. Its usually done in extreme settings like night photography or snow covered scenes etc. You either shoot at different aperetures or different shutter speeds. You stop down in f stops or with the shutter speed for a number of exposures usually 3 or 4.

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Jess,

This has been discussed before at TPF but I'll pitch in my explanation for bracketing.

Taking a photo of a subject is many times a question of knowledge and 'luck'. By taking a picture at 1/3 stop under exposed, normal exposure and 1/3 stop over exposed will produce one negative that is more suitable than the other two for printing. Simply put is willingly making an error on both sides of the exposure. There can be bracketings like 2 full steps under or over, 1 full step under or over, 2/3 steps under or over and so on. At least one of the negatives exposed this way will be best for printing. The general consensus is that for richer colors and tones one should over expose the color negs by 1/3 step and under expose the color slides by 1/3 step. It works most of the time but a little bracketing won't hurt either.

I hope this makes sense... :)

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, you have to understand that a camera's meter is set to produce medium tones. So if your scene is darker or lighter than medium toned...you have to make corrections to compensate.

This is not much of an issue with color negative film because the photos can be corrected in the printing stage. If you are going to bracket with negative film, one or two full stops in either direction will make some, but not a lot of difference.

Slide film, however, is much more sensitive with it's exposure latitude. That is when adjusting by 1/3 of a stop will make a difference. Because when you shoot slide film, there is no adjustment when processing...what you shot is what you get. This is less forgiving but it is a good way to learn.