brand-fanatics and gear-heads (rant)

I'm pretty introverted, though, and can only take so much memory dumping from strangers before I start feeling physically ill.

Off topic, but I think that's the low level autism some of us seem to have (believe me, I know it well). I am jovial and talkative on the outside, but on the inside, I'm expending vast amounts of psychic energy to keep up the conversation. It can be exhausting.

Hmmmm, maybe THAT'S why other photogs just grunt a "hello" at me...they are borderline autistic too. :lol:

Alex, just tell them it's a rental while your (insert insanely expensive camera here) is in the shop.

Barring that, you could do the rebadge thing only I'd try the radioactive sticker, or maybe a bio-hazard. ;)

People who use possessions to make up for a lack of personality are merely speed bumps on the road of life, and should be hit at about 35mph!

Barring that, you could do the rebadge thing only I'd try the radioactive sticker, or maybe a bio-hazard. ;) ...

Actually the rebadging idea is pretty good ... I had a road bike that I removed all the original insignias ... and I had these BMW decals ... looked pretty good and nobody made negative remarks .... BMW hits too close to home so maybe Apple or Lexus or NASA ... Colnago ... Lego

Gary

Yeah, the rebadge thing would work, although I would suggest a brand name that was totally other. Something like, oh I don't know, Frigidaire? It's not like you have ANY reason to be embarrassed shooting with any camera -including a Campbell's soup can!

Think about the radioactive sticker though, If they're being annoying you could tell them it's a radio active lens and have they had an x-ray recently because you can't be held responsible... .

And if they think the chance of being Radioactively Contaminated is cool, well then, you have just found a New Model! YEA! ;) LOLOLOLOLOL (<maniacal laughter)

mike

I know a wedding photog who just dumped his Nikons and Fuji S-3 for Canon because of the noise. It seems all those Sony CCD sensors really suck above ISO 800.

It will be painful if you stay and painful if you switch ... so just switch ... but before you do play with a Canon at higher ISOs to see if its worth all the pain (and the day you switch Nikon starts making their own CMOS sensor with better noise control than Canon...)

Gary

That's the funny thing, they are virtually the same sensor - I think it has to do more with Nikon firmware vs Canon firmware. I recently switched on long exposure noise reduction in my Nikon, and it seems like it helps on everything - even f/1.8 50mm 1/50th exposure shots @ ISO 1600.

About switching, yes it would be painful - but I'm about to make a big upgrade, and want to get the best set for ME, I don't really care who's name is on the badge or how bright yellow the name is on the neck hehe.

I might end up asking a bunch of Canon Qs later on, like I don't even know what would be equiv to a Nikon D200, I'm tempted to stay where I'm at, mainly because I know it all inside out.

Then again, I got into photography because I didn't know anything - if I would have seen what went into it a couple years later, maybe I would have just built a new PC instead hehe!

That's the funny thing, they are virtually the same sensor - I think it has to do more with Nikon firmware vs Canon firmware.

Canon's DSLRs are outfitted with their own CMOS chip. Nikons and virtually the the rest of the market is outfitted from CCDs from Sony. Smaller market share goes to Kodak. I think its a combination of CMOS as well as firmware processing that gives Canon a nice control over noise.

OK, I will relable my gear saying "Tribute - St Austell Brewery" :p

I think that any of these cameras are better than I will ever be as a photographer and it comes down to which of the cameras you prefer from an ergonometric or other characteristic.

Arguing about which is better - for any reason - is upsmanship and as silly as arguing about cars or football teams.

I typically put black tape over the brand on my camera and on the lens covers and I use a no-brand neck strap. No one has yet to ask me what brand the camera is.

Take good pictures and shut up. Having Brand X won't make them that much different - and if it does - so what.

That's the funny thing, they are virtually the same sensor -

Don't think so Canon uses a CMOS and the D200 is CCD. I just think Canon's low noise is a combo of CMOS design (large pixels not cramped together) and finely tuned firmware.

The D200 is a very capable camera ... unless you routinely shoot at elevated ISOs ,,, like nighttime sports where it's necessary to crank up the ISO for an action stopping shutter speed ... then I wouldn't fret over Canon's better noise control for the rare shot or two.

Gary

I have to go along with the Philistine......

Just for Alex: if you don't have a Nikon I guess anything will do......:lol:

it is fun wo watch this beast of a thread develop its own life ;)

*leans back, sips from his glass and relaxes*

The D200 is a very capable camera ... unless you routinely shoot at elevated ISOs
Gary

Damn, why'd you have to go and say that. My camera rarely leaves ISO 1600 - I wish I shot in less low light situations, I could save money on glass and stop getting those pricey f/2.8 zooms!

Maybe I'll research Canon some more. I'm willing to drop 3-4k down. I need a system comparable to what I planned on getting with my Nikon - originally was planning on a D200, vertical grip, and a 17-50mm Tamron f/2.8 (Of which for that I'd just have to specifiy 'gimme the canon mount instead of the nikon one now')

That's the funny thing, they are virtually the same sensor - I think it has to do more with Nikon firmware vs Canon firmware.
No, that is incorrect. Nikon uses Sony sensors, Canon makes their own. You may have confused brands here.

Damn, why'd you have to go and say that. My camera rarely leaves ISO 1600 - I wish I shot in less low light situations, I could save money on glass and stop getting those pricey f/2.8 zooms!

Maybe I'll research Canon some more. I'm willing to drop 3-4k down.

On Ebay you'll probably get more than what you paid ,,, but seriously ,, go find a friend with a Canon or a camera club and compare apples to apples ... RAW to RAW images. The 5D has one of the best noise control at high ISOs of any camera ... but at $2600 to $2800, I think it's over priced ... but its a great camera.

Please, don't take my word for it ... go do an apples to apples test and see for yourself. The Canon 30D would be the D200 equal in price and performance.

Gary

Most reactions

Back