brand-fanatics and gear-heads (rant)

no offense to nikon users, but how could someone look at a full frame digital camera and want a nikon?

But I know what you mean, shooting with a "reject" brand, I feel the elitism in the photography world.

Easy, I look at the price tag. ;) I'm such a cheap b@$tard. :mrgreen:

well yeah, but would you really look at a 5d and act like it wasn't an amazing camera? I'd never buy a digital hasselblad, but if I saw one I wouldn't say, oh, it medium format, nevermind.

When I was setting up my tripod and camera for some long exposures on a busy street in the city recently, I was (of course) attracting some attention, some people just asking what I was doing, some wanting to be in the picture and some even thought they would be on TV :mrgreen: (guess the big lens shade, the somewhat more complicated tripod head and the large almost black ND filter mislead them in some way .. )

But one thing which really upset me was that I was approached
by people who only walked up to me to see my gear, realise it is not Nikon and then tell me they would not want to have it because Nikon makes the best cameras in the world, with a stupid smile to punch his face for.

And this is not the first time similar things happened. Why are there so many idiots in photography? I tend to look at the images people produce, as this is all which matters, and would expect this to be the same for anyone into photography.

Just something strange I realised in my local environment: It is only people with Nikons (and to some extent Leicas) looking "down" on others and aggressively telling them that other brands (Canon, Olympus, whatever) are inferior.
Don't get me wrong here, I do know many excellent photographers using Nikon. Just in my very local environment things seem very screwed up in that sense that there are Nikon-fanatics on one side (you rarely see them taking pictures, you hardly see any of their images but they keep telling you how great their gear is) , and people who love photography and go out shooting with their Canons, Olys, alphas and whatever.

[end of rant] Sorry, but this upsets me from time to time :mrgreen:

Recently I changed platforms after over 20 years of brand loyalty to a well known camera manufacturer. When I switched, my status as a photographer did not change. I didn't shoot with less competence and am still producing images that are being published. So not using C&N does not equate to one not being "Pro". It is a choice that one makes based on specific criteria. No more, no less...

Ben

didnt those bast&rds kick you off of a well known forum for switching ?

or am i thinking of someone else.

Dpreview booted him out, maybe not specifically for switching but also because Dpreview regularly bans people for absolutely no logical reason. :)

I thought it was mysteriously right after he started posting about how much he liked his new setup... hhhmmmm

thats pretty messed up ....

They can constrew the non-promotion thing to kill you if your talking about equipment ???

I really hope we never get like that here, its great the way it is !!!!

I thought it was mysteriously right after he started posting about how much he liked his new setup... hhhmmmm

thats pretty messed up ....

They can constrew the non-promotion thing to kill you if your talking about equipment ???

I really hope we never get like that here, its great the way it is !!!!

unless this website gets bought out (which the members wont let happen, if forced to sell the site I hope Chase would consider selling it to another member/mod, and I'd be more than happy to donate to keep it privately owned), it will never become the product pushing website that DPreview is.

i agree .... this is the only photography site i actually stayed on :)

This is the only forum I've been on where I've felt comfortable and open.

It's a place where you can find folks as strange as you are. O.k. so I'm speaking for myself here, but I've never been snubbed, lectured, or met any ken rockwell types here.

[end of rant] Sorry, but this upsets me from time to time :mrgreen:

When I shot with my compact digital, I never once had someone look at me funny. On my very first outing with my SLR, I was snubbed! At first, I was a little offended, even lost some of my enthusiasm for my pending shooting time... but as the day progressed I realized that I shouldn't be feeling bad for myself, rather I should be feeling bad for the guy who judged me by my gear.

I read a quote on another forum... "Fanboyism is a neurosis, get help!"

I think it's fine to be passionate about a brand or whatever, so long as you don't push it on to other people, especially strangers. I mean I might say to a friend "ipods suck, get a creative" semi jokingly, but I would never walk up to someone on the street listening to their ipod, yank those silly white ear buds out and say "ipods are crap, buy a real mp3 player"

anyways, i'm a Nikon fan myself, though I would never discredit any of the other major DSLRs out there. Except for sigma, i mean what the hell. I'm just joking...kind of.

p.s. what do you shoot Alex?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back