Brand New Here and Dumber than Dirt! Here's What I Have!

Texaseyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Very little experience. Had a SLR a long time ago. Did some work with it. Really enjoyed it until I lost it and now am starting over.
I have purchased two AE1 Canons. Got both on Ebay. One I paid $50.00 for and the other $20.00.
(Lady didn't know if the thing was working. I bought it for the lense, really cool strap and the cases. Ended up needing a battery! Works great!)
They both have the Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 lenses along with the Canon Sky 1-A and the Huya UV(O) filters.
Both cameras work perfectly and have very little wear cosmetically.
I have also bought a Samsonite 1600 tripod for $1.30, yeah no typo, on Ebay???
Got a Vivitar 215 flash and a Gemini 4700 auto flash. Paid $7.00 and $5.00 for them.
Last night, also on Ebay I bought a Vivitar 28-200mm 1.3-5.31 Macro Zoom lense. I think this will handle all my wide angle, macro and telephoto needs for the time being. Got it for $50.00.
I know I am going "cheap" but I have to and still get what I need to start over.
I was forced into buying a Canon Photura that the wife saw on Ebay and wanted so she could do the "point and shoot" thing.
I had one of these before and loved it for what it was. Lost it, too.
She wanted another one so I got it on Ebay for $50.00. Unlike my other one, this one has a remote and the Caption feature that I have no idea about??? Guess I am gonna have to opt for another book as none was included with the camera.
Anyway, now I need to start shooting film.
Am I in the right place or am I gonna bore the crap outa ya'll with a bunch of dumb questions?
Thanks!

dont worry man!! your in the right place!!!

fire away with questions!

md

Welcome aboard Tex and I admire your shopping abilities!

Yay! Another Texan, we're taking over ya know! Welcome aboard yo!

OK, here goes. I am planning on taking some long exposure shots of the upcoming July 4th fireworks.
What are the suggestions for type of film, settings, exposure times, etc.
Promised my daughter we could get some really neat pictures of the displays.
Thanks.

I'd go with a good quality ISO 100 film, like Fuji Reala or Superia.

On long exposures, SIO 100 film has less reciprocity failure than faster film, so the colors are more likely to stay true.

As for settings, prefocus and set up your tripod to frame the area where the fireworks will "blossom" (obviously). Set your camera for something like f/22 at 4 seconds and then wait until you hear the sound of a launch.

You'll probably want to fiddle around with the settings some. Maybe shoot some at f/16 and f/11 to make sure of your exposure. If you want just the fireworks, f/22 will be fine. If you want some detail of the landscape, you might need to open up a bit.

Most reactions

Back