Brand new Nikon F2A, 1978 serial number

Always thought the value of the F3's "mechanical" shutter option was moot. Anyone who uses these regularly either swaps out the battery and/or carries spares or uses an MD-4.

Yes that is true. T
Actually Fred you could use the F3 without a battery. You were limited to 1/60th of a second.

Backup mechanical lever

This lever is provided as an alternative method of tripping the shutter in case the camera's batteries become weak or completely exhausted. To operate the lever, first use your fingernail to pull it down to the ready position. Then push it down to trip the shutter.

The shutter operates at a mechanical speed of approx. 1/60 sec. at any setting on the shutter speed dial except "T." At "T," the shutter remains open until the dial is turned to another setting.

Yes, that's true. It was just thing for flash or tripod photography. I made thousands of images with an F3 and I can't ever remember using the 1/60 mechanical feature. I liked the F3 a lot. It was the last of the normal body sized F cameras. The F4 was a heavy monstrosity and the F5 wasn't much better except that it had better auto focus.

Another favorite of mine was the FM which also featured a mechanical shutter. I carried it when I didn't have the energy to carry something like the F4. It was my standard backup camera to the F4 and F5.

My F2 is in my hand.
Moi-%40-Fire---W.jpg

Most reactions

Back