Brand new to photography. Help choosing camera?

hollyberry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm brand new to photography and would like to choose a good quality camera for a decent price. I've been looking at Canons & Nikons, but have yet to select a camera that I really like. I'm considering purchasing the Canon PowerShot S5 IS, but I don't know. I can't spend more than $500 on a camera at the most, and I'm hoping to spend less than $400.

I love detailed images & I am used to working with Adobe Photoshop 5.0. Any ideas on the camera that's right for me?

Thank you!

Do you want a point/shoot or a DSLR?

I've seen the Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens for around 450 bucks at several online photo merchants.

Can't help you with a point/shoot choice, not too familliar with them.

Do you (jwsciontc) or someone else have example photos from the Canon PowerShot S5 IS that I could see?

I have been messing around with a Cannon Powershot for a couple of years now and it has been a good camera for the money. It is great for it's size, I was suprised with it coming from a 35mm film camera.

For us it has been a good stepping stone into a SLR digital.

Thank you all for your help! Another question about the Canon PowerShot S5 IS: I've read that after about 4-6 months, the lens sometimes breaks. Has anyone had that experience? I don't want to buy something that might only last half a year.

Most reactions

Back