CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I just ordered a Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP and Canon 75-300mm TP lens off Amazon today. ($523.86 total)

Now what? I've only used point n shoots up til now. How do I learn? Should I take a class at my local junior college?

Read around this forum. I learned a lot in the past month.

For sure. The gear is great - now you'll have 3-5 years of fun catching up to it's capability!

For sure. The gear is great - now you'll have 3-5 years of fun catching up to it's capability!

nice. that's enough time to save up for better equipment ;)

ALSO, what is the technical term for a fisheye lens? that would be fun to get one and play with. any recommendations? also, what books should i have in my photography library?

You got a terrific deal. I paid 700 a month ago for the same package. Excuse me while I go throw up! ha! Enjoy the new purchase!!!

The technical term is a 'Fisheye Lens' as far as I know...that's what's most commonly used anyway.

For beginners I would always recommend starting with your owner's manual (kind of a joke, but not funny how few people read it), I'd also reco Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography Book #1 & #2). They're easy reads and great introduction to photography with DSLRs. He includes technical stuff, composition, lighting & neat tips (like how to position your tripod on an incline/decline so your new DSLR doesn't tumble down a hill).

You got a terrific deal. I paid 700 a month ago for the same package. Excuse me while I go throw up! ha! Enjoy the new purchase!!!

yeah, amazon was having this deal where u get $100 off ur purchase if u bought the camera and lens together, so i was like "$63 for a lens??? hell yes!" so i got it too.

The instruction manual is full of great info on how to use all the functions the camera is capable of, If you are looking into more stuff to go with it, i'd for sure recommend as everyone else probably will the 50mm f/1.8 II lens, at 80 bucks its a great lens, I've had mine for less than a week and can't put it down.

If you are looking into more stuff to go with it, i'd for sure recommend as everyone else probably will the 50mm f/1.8 II lens, at 80 bucks its a great lens, I've had mine for less than a week and can't put it down.

what is the point of this lens? sounds like it's just really fast. what is that ideal for? night shots? action shots?

You can actually get your manual right off the internet: I recommend reading it from cover to cover. That way, when the camera arrives, you can get your hands on it right away (and know what you're doing) instead of glancing at it furtively while trying to figure out where the "on" switch is.

First thing I did was read the manual, it's a camera yes, but reading this definitely helped & I still go back to it. Second, I ordered pocket guide to photography. Then went to a couple of sites, signed up for some forums to pick others minds. In the meantime I take my camera everywhere I go to learn new techniques in shooting.

Good start with the camera, now prepare your wallet for some major damage because I blew through over $2800 bucks in a week and still want more stuff.

You can actually get your manual right off the internet: I recommend reading it from cover to cover. That way, when the camera arrives, you can get your hands on it right away (and know what you're doing) instead of glancing at it furtively while trying to figure out where the "on" switch is.
Excellent idea there. You would be so much ahead of the game by doing that if a camera is coming in shipment.

The 2 websites that helped me a ton when I first got my camera follows. They will get you started on understanding what all that shutter, aperture, and ISO stuff is. I really liked these links when I started using more than an automatic camera a year ago.

Digicam Help
ShortCourses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back