Breach of contract?

to digress for one moment I have had the shutter stick on my 400D as well - though the only times it happens are when I am using a lens with IS and the batteries have run very low (I use a battery grip which might or might not affect this also). Basically I think the camera budgets its power for the shot and thinks it has enough - but then the IS sucks out the remaining power and the camera panics and dies. (which is why they always say use fully charged batteries when lifting the mirror for cleaning).

First time it happened I got really worried, but quickly worked out what was happening when I stuck fresh charged batteries in.

to digress for one moment I have had the shutter stick on my 400D as well - though the only times it happens are when I am using a lens with IS and the batteries have run very low (I use a battery grip which might or might not affect this also). Basically I think the camera budgets its power for the shot and thinks it has enough - but then the IS sucks out the remaining power and the camera panics and dies. (which is why they always say use fully charged batteries when lifting the mirror for cleaning).

First time it happened I got really worried, but quickly worked out what was happening when I stuck fresh charged batteries in.
Nothing to do with IS lens, MY only IS lens is my 18-55mm at the time i had my 50mm i think..

I also use a battery grip and my batterys were low so most likely that.

Nope wasn't her battery. She put a new one in and it still wouldn't work. She said she couldn't change settings in manual mode either. *shrug*

IS drains battery life? What the heck? Why would I want to get that?
So a 70-200 f/2.8 is better than 70-200 f/4 IS?
Never had any issues like this with my 400D. Yet.
And I personally consider battery grips a waste of money. Except if you want to give your camera some balance with your heavy lens/flashgun.
Instead just get 2-3 batteries and switch em when there dead.

Well IS is a motor just like AF - it has to run of something - even in body IS is a motor driven component. AF is also draining your battery ;)

As for the 70-200mm f2.8 vs 70-200mm f4 IS - if you need/want the IS and don't need the wide aperture of f2.8 then the f4 with IS is the better - but if you need that wider max aperture (working in low light) then you need the f2.8 - because for all the IS in the world it won't counter subject movement.

As for battery grips I consider them differently. Firstly, even if you don't have big hands (which I certainly don't) a camera body without a grip does not have any space for your small finger on your right hand, it sort of hangs off the bottom and rubs on the edge of the camera (a right pain). A battery grip gives you that space for your pinky finger.
Secondly they add portrait aspect controls - even if you don't shoot dominatly in portait mode its great to have a shutter as well as aperture and other controls on the side of the grip when you take a portrait shot - rather than having to hold your camera from above with your right hand.
Battery life is also great when you use 2 at once - you can shoot for full day - heck 2 days even without having to change batteries - of course you still have to have a set of 2 spares (fully charged) for when your batteries do die.

As a final point for nikon shooters - battery grips have even more worth as they will (on most models of camera) give you a faster frames per second.

I wonder if her Canon was hit by the all-too-common Err99 problems so many Canon models are plagued with? I've had both my 20D and 5D suddenly freeze up and become inoperable due to Err 99 problems on multiple occasions.

I am appalled that the backup photographer had a camera breakdown during the event. Wow....that's reliable gear she was using--not!

Did her Canon's mirror perhaps fall off when the cement failed?

Support - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - EOS 5D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Err99 isn't exactly a problem as such on its own - its what the camera reports when it has no idea what is wrong with it - so it can be a range of things from just dirty contacts between lens and camera to a shutter death. (remembering that DSLR shutters have a limited lifespan).

As for reliable gear - well that's why all pros past and present have backup gear ;)

So my friend (guy I work with) is getting married tomorrow. They were scheduled to be married outside but due to the weather, they had to use their backup rain location which is in a dimly

out of curiosity, has your friend decide to pursue legal action over the breach of contract?

before acting, I would suggest looking at the entire contract and seeing if the change of venue might have triggered a breach by the bride/groom. I would assume that a very last minute change from daylight to dark hall may have caused the bride or groom to be in breach of the contract.

Well done and I am glad it worked out well. Hopefully your friends had a good wedding and have many good pictures of their special day.

I have shot many weddings for my friends at church who couldn't afford to hire a professional. I am an amateur and never been paid. I enjoy taking pictures. I don't think one person can cover a normal size wedding. I usually team up with my father in law. We were both Nikon shooters but now he is a Canon shooter and so am I (mainly). Taking wedding pictures is serious business and we all should try our best. We may not realize it but sometimes marriages are saved because of wedding pictures! As I look at my own wedding photos from time to time I am reminded of the commitment I made to my wife before family and friends and most of all the Lord Jesus Christ. It really is an awesome responsibility to be a wedding photographer.

So bringing this back from the dead. They finally got their photos back from the photographers who were SUPPOSED to shoot the wedding.
They kept stalling

They emailed this link to my friend saying "Here are ALL your pictures" ...portraits included. Mind you this was $3000 worth of work. I'm less than impressed
http://mobbsphotography.com/previews/Augusta+David/

Now I'll admit SOME of them are decent but 2 portraits and a bunch of sub par photos just wouldn't cut it with me

Last edited:
So bringing this back from the dead. They finally got their photos back from the photographers who were SUPPOSED to shoot the wedding.
They kept stalling

They emailed this link to my friend saying "Here are ALL your pictures" ...portraits included. Mind you this was $3000 worth of work. I'm less than impressed
http://mobbsphotography.com/previews/Augusta+David/

Now I'll admit SOME of them are decent but 2 portraits and a bunch of sub par photos just wouldn't cut it with me
Wow! I need to get in this biz because if you can cut off the brides head while taking the photo of them kissing, and still cash a $3500 check with a clear conscious, then anyone can do this job.

So coming from an amateur point of view, the only thing I saw from those photos was mediocre composition. Maybe that is what happens when you have to shoot on the spot, with no do overs, but I wasn't impressed.

If I had paid that much money, I would compare what I got with what the original photographers portfolio looks like. If it isn't even close then I would be contacting a lawyer. The reception photos aside, the shots that really counted at the alter are piss poor IMO.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back