Breaking into macro

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by roadkill, Aug 4, 2008.

1. roadkill

roadkill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am interested in breaking into macro but I am completely ignorant when it comes to lens and lighting selection. I know it depends on the results I want to achieve but I wonder if some of those who have experience could suggest a lens that would be generally good to start with as well as lighting. Can I just use my SB600 for this type of shooting?

2. Moglex

Moglex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To start off, why not consider either tubes or the Canon 500D close up lens?

These will enable you to take macro shots whilst determining the focal length of lens that most suits your subjects/way of working, before you commit to a macro lens.

3. Stranger

Stranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you should look into the sigma 150mm macro or the sigma 105mm macro.. Both are great lenses. (Unless you want to up it and grab the nikon 105VR... excellent lens)

My current setup is the Nikon 105VR with the SB-600 onboard. I ported out a lotion bottle and use that as a diffuser. Works very well in my opinion. www.flickr.com/tamar787

most DIY flash things work just as well as the expensive ones. Personally, i think ring-lights give very flat lighting on macro work

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. chris

chris TPF Noob!

That is precisely what ring lights are meant to do. If you do have a ring light and want to get a bit of modelling than you can blank off parts of the light with black tape.

The suggestion of using a lotion bottle is good, you can buy diffusers but often a home made version is just as good, and cheap.

You could use your flash off camera with an extension lead and side light your subject but you start to have problems holding everything in place if you don't use a tripod or an assistant. If you do use the flash off camera then take some small reflectors to bounce some light back to fill in some of the shadows unless you particularly want very directional lighting.

The longer macro lenses (100 mm or more) allow greater working distance from the subject and can give you the room to be a bit more creative with the lighting.

6. roadkill

roadkill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll rent the 105 VR and see how it suits me. Icassell, that link didn't seem to work but I'll try again later. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to read them. Thanks again.

7. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Me personally I never use a flash with macro shots, I'd rather improvise some steady light concoction and go from there, but as has ben noted on a few occations I do a diffrent style of macro. I can't say I can be of any real help for you.

8. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I fixed the link -- try it again :)

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D80 takes older Nikon lenses right?

how about looking into older Nikkors??? AF is not all that important in macro photography. Focusing is achieved by increasing or decreasing subject to camera distance (hence macro focusing rails on tripods).

As for flash, you'll need one definitely. DIY projects on the internet or older manual ring flashes from ebay for under $100 (well under).