Breaking into these commercial areas

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for general advice to break into these two areas. I feel I am a competent shooter. I am classically trained and hold a Bachelors in Fine Arts. I have worked as a photojournalist for a small publication and have done a small amount of commercial work. I feel my strengths are studio work, portraiture work and candid photojournaist work.

1) Bar Mitzvahs. I'm a gentile but want to break into this, since I'm in Minneapolis and weddings don't really occur in the winter. I do come from a half-Jewish family though.

2) model portfolios

thanks

I can’t speak for Bar Mitzvahs, but model Portfolios is a tough racket to make money in unless you are established already.

Part of the problem is that models that need a portfolio usually do not have a lot of money and are not willing to pay what they should for proper shots and there are tons of GWC’s out there that want to shoot them so badly they will do it for free to try and gain experience.

Your best bet is to try and set up with an agency, but the competition there is fierce as well, and the agency know this and they use it to force down prices.

Most reactions

Back