Breaking The Limitations of Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh100LuBu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Many photographers play it safe and ridicule others that go the extra mile, they refer to unusual photography as 'The Forbidden Zone' and if you cross into that territory you are pretty much lynched! How have you broken the limitations of vanilla photography and what has inspired you to be different?

what's the Forbidden Zone?

Artistic photography is just that ... artistic for the artist making the photograph.

the only ppl I see lynched are newbie wedding photographers that bought their camera 3 days ago and have no idea how to turn it on (and such).

Which limitations of photography would you be referring to?

what's the Forbidden Zone?

Artistic photography is just that ... artistic for the artist making the photograph.

the only ppl I see lynched are newbie wedding photographers that bought their camera 3 days ago and have no idea how to turn it on (and such).
LOL good comment.

Many photographers play it safe and ridicule others that go the extra mile, they refer to unusual photography as 'The Forbidden Zone' and if you cross into that territory you are pretty much lynched! How have you broken the limitations of vanilla photography and what has inspired you to be different?
I'm curious as to how your rationalize this. You're complaining about people who you feel are ridiculing [I assume you refer to] your work, yet you refer to theirs as "vanilla"; not exactly a complimentary term... I freely admit to being a traditionalist; I love creating classic, timeless portraits. While I am not especially enamoured of your work, and I can't pretend to understand it, I respect it as your work. A little reciprocity might not go amiss...

When photographers/artists and people in general play it safe to avoid any friction in the communities. Some people limit themselves due to the popularity factor and wanting to be liked, this often shows in their artwork.

When photographers/artists and people in general play it safe to avoid any friction in the communities. Some people limit themselves due to the popularity factor and wanting to be liked, this often shows in their artwork.
Perhaps, and I realize this is a wild idea, so I'm just tossing it out there for s**ts and giggles, some of those people you feel are 'playing it safe' are actually creating work in which they see genuine beauty.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder when it comes to anything that even remotely mainstream. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad!

so, why you worried about them? worry about you. And being liked only matters if you are doing commercial work or selling prints. Then it comes down to food on the table. learning, is something entirely different than appreciation of your style. You might be mistaking them playing it safe, for rather some of them learning to do it properly first, before they branch off into their own specific styles and methods. Feel free to make a vase that is totally hated. Long as you know you can make one correctly. Can you shoot straight vanilla photography on a professional level? If you can, than no worries. If you can't, then you really should incorporate more knowledge and at least incorporate SOME of that into your chosen art. Knowledge is power.

Perhaps, and I realize this is a wild idea, so I'm just tossing it out there for s**ts and giggles, some of those people you feel are 'playing it safe' are actually creating work in which they see genuine beauty.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder when it comes to anything that even remotely mainstream. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad!
I never said it was bad I just think it's a little boring, theres plenty of things that aren't terrible just very uninspiring and I think that's a great shame. But, as i've said before art is indeed subjective to the artist and everyone has a different eye for creativity. Just wished more of them would be more daring!

forbidden-planet-12.jpg

Then that would be the limitations of the people practicing photography, and not of photography itself. As for creating friction, people tend to react negatively to things that are overdone, such as too much saturation, selective colour, HDR, instagram-style filters, etc.

Photography is like writing, in that it communicates to an audience. Good writing draws the readers in and can often seduce them in considering viewpoints that otherwise they would not consider. Bad writing will alienate the audience to the point of them totally ignoring the point of the written piece. Same with photography. This is exactly the same as the old saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". However, learning the art of seduction, whether in writing, or visual art, or in person, requires a certain sensitivity to your audience.

This "Forbidden Zone" is where the nudie pics are located, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back