Breaking The Limitations of Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there! I would have "never" used the avatar if I had not read that decision! I even stated at the time that I would "not" use it if the gear-owner informed me he'd rather I not. But he "in no way" had anything to do with that shot................... the monkey happened upon his camera laying on the ground and managed to snap a photo of himself. Just how do you get to the conclusion that it should be copyrighted by him?!

Is the publisher has the copyright for that monkey's photo?
No one has a copyright on that monkey photo.

But, you are misleading yourself. People think you shot this image.
Why would they think that?! It's a goofy avatar! There are lots of goofy avatars on the forums. That's the first time I've even heard of that idea. At the time I started using it, "everyone" knew the story behind it.

But this is for another thread. I don't want to hijack this one.

But this is for another thread. I don't want to hijack this one.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but that WOULD be a first. The general trend is to have multiple hijacks, which will occasionally bring it back to the OP.

I'm going to break the trend and actually answer OP's question.

sometimes what's not in focus can be more captivating than what's in focus.

Uh no, sorry, I think you're flat-out wrong on the idea that, "No one gets copyright." But that is what the thieves who have been stealing the images have been using as their argument to rationalize their theft. Snerd's avatar image is in fact, one that ought to be removed here, and frankly, I am surprised the people running this site have let this slide for so long... the people running TPF have been almost INSTANTANEOUS in vigorously kill-filing misappropriated images for years now, and yet...that avatar has been allowed here on hundreds of posts: and we know that snerd himself DOES NOT OWN or have any claim to copyright on that monkey image...none..

1) Last I heard the monkey photo got taken to court and the photographer lost and it was deemed that as the monkey had taken the shot without provocation nor encouragement that the monkey was the photographer. It was then argued that as its not human and there are no standing laws, the monkey, whilst the creator of the work without question, cannot hold a legal copyright of the work. Ergo its freegame.

2) We've never policed avatars ever unless people break rules on things like nudity. They've always been generally treated under "fair use"; which I am aware is a minefield legally speaking; but thus far there has been no landmark court case of anyone being taken to court successfully for using a copyright image as a forum avatar.

3) When it comes to families we generally don't mind embedding of photos since we make the assumption that permission is granted within the general family unit. So long as the person isn't miss-representing the situation it is generally all alright to display. Critique is a bit of a sticky area and in general our view has always been that if one wants critique one should make their own account and post up their own work and we'd always encourage that approach (though we are also aware that within family units people will share accounts).

In the case of pre-posed shots its more fiddly however I'd generally say that if the lighting, scene, frame and pose are all set by the same person and that the other is only pressing the shutter instead of using a remote shutter then chances are whilst its a joint effort, but that the one who set the scene etc.. is likely the more in need of direction/critique

There is no such thing as vanilla photography, no forbidden zonrs other than what the law states, just vanilla minds. You like it, you don't like it, get over it and move on. Lifes too short to worry about crap like that.

A wise man once said.

Never sweat the petty stuff and never pet the sweaty stuff.
Explain the vanilla photography on this forum then? 90% of what i've seen here is very bland.

Ummm... You are not a photographer. Your dad shoots all the photographs for you.

I do not agree with that contention, at all, in any way. This has been dealt with before, many times. His camera, his gear, his ideas, HIS photos. Same goes for husband and wife teams who have joint copyright; same with photographers who shoot TIMED, or intervalometer, or trigger/trap-focus images of wildlife and natural world events; coyote appears at a bait in the middle of the night, a trap-focused Canon starts shooting images while the photographer is at home or in camp, asleep; who took the photos and has copyright? The coyote? Uhhhh, no.
He and his parents have shared copyright. But he doesn't deserve credit as a photographer, and he was asking for feedback.
You are very mistaken, I am the owner of these photos.

...Explain the vanilla photography on this forum then? 90% of what i've seen here is very bland.
You really don't get it, do you? Simply because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. For instance: The image below, I'm sure you consider to be "vanilla", whereas I (and quite a few others) consider to be a well executed, classic portrait. It's not your thing, fine, no problem. I don't see much in your work that I like, BUT... I respect the fact that it is your work and has meaning to you. How about you start doing the same for others?
Burton.jpg

You are very mistaken, I am the owner of these photos.
If you didn't actually press the shutter release, then you may want to discuss this issue with a member of the US Supreme Court, they seem to have a somewhat different opinion...

There is no such thing as vanilla photography, no forbidden zonrs other than what the law states, just vanilla minds. You like it, you don't like it, get over it and move on. Lifes too short to worry about crap like that.

A wise man once said.

Never sweat the petty stuff and never pet the sweaty stuff.
Explain the vanilla photography on this forum then? 90% of what i've seen here is very bland.

you have to understand that this is a photography forum. which is to say, a forum where the vast majority are people behind the camera taking pictures. Thus, most of us here are striving for a certain level of technical and/or artistic development where the end product that we produce adheres to a certain standard of photographic proficiency.
while artistic license is certainly a subjective area, most technical aspects of a photograph, IE: exposure, focus, lighting, etc etc... are not nearly as much.

The bottom line is, posting pictures here (except in the "just for fun" section) is quite literally by the forum rules asking for critique on whatever pictures are posted. Since this forum is mostly about people learning and teaching how to take pictures, the feedback you receive will most likely be to that end, as well as mostly directed at how you can improve the pictures.
If you are not into taking pictures, but instead, prefer to be the model, you might find a better suited (and more receptive) audience in a forum with a more dedicated section to modeling.

I would also point out that joining a forum and immediately insulting its members and their work is definitely not the way to endear yourself to a community. Quite frankly, if you do not approve of the forum members work, Its probably best if you just find a group that is better suited to your tastes.

As a last note, and a friendly bit of advice per my job here as a Moderator...as per forum rules, (which I assume you have thoroughly read through) blatant inflammatory comments directed towards other members or their work will not be tolerated, and may result in a temporary (and eventually permanent) ban from the forum.
insults to the moderating staff fall into that category as well.

If you have not already done a proper introduction, you might consider a brief dissertation about yourself, how you found the forum, and what you hope to learn and/or contribute here. If people can get a better idea of what you are looking to accomplish here, those more aligned to what you need will have an easier time finding you.

This may come as quite shock; not everyone is an expert.

What you see as "very bland" may be the photographer's best effort to date.

Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back