Brickworks - Composition Help

AJ Jewell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

I made it out to the Brickworks in Toronto yesterday. What a place!

I like this shot, but since this is one of my first ones, I cant tell if the composition is okay. I like the different angles on each roof - like they added to the building over the years, and the barrel in the yard.

Any comments on composition?

i would really like the subject to be lighter..much lighter but it looks like the sun was going down so its hard to do.. its a good picture though i like the angle you took the picture from

yes, it was overcast, and the sun was going down on the other side of the building. thanks for the comment.

Composition is not bad as it is, though with a bit of pp work, you could get a lot more out of this photo than is showing right now. Light may have been dull, but with some pp and some selective lightening of the buildings and giving them more contrasts, and equally selective lowering of the midtones of the sky to give it some definition, you can see so much more.

I know you put up OK to edit about your pics, so I took the freedom to try what is possible, but I don't want to thrust upon you my pp work just like that. Would you like to see what I did by applying the a.m. method (lasso tool in PS at 40px around buildings first and then a play with levels until I felt this was good, then lasso tool around the sky and bringing down the midtones until I thought it looked ok, then USM = unsharp mask at 50/40/60)?

For me it shows all right.
Can you get to it "taking the scenic route"? I.e. by right-clicking on the red x, and then by copying and pasting the link? It is hosted with static.flickr ...

lafoto, I would love to see what can be done. I dont have much experience with PS.

btw, after looking at the image that I posted, and the original file, the flickr image is very dull. Im going to try and host it somewhere else to see a difference. But, please post your edit.

OK. I tried to bring out just a bit more, I could tell it was there:

AJ_Jewell_442879719_b23f4e88b4_o_my.jpg

You might like it?

wow, that looks great. Yeah, I wish it was a nice clear day so that I could get the sky a nice bright blue. Oh well, its down the street from me, so Ill be back there soon.

Actually, I think that this kind of grey, overcast sky goes well with the theme of these old brick houses and the graffiti and the touch of abandonement (<- is this a word????) and all.

i did my own edit, but every time I upload it (either to flickr or photobucket, the levels go way off. The copy I have on my computer is very rich. Any suggestions?

Love the location, but I think there is too much going on in your photo. I think details such as a corner or some of the graffiti would be more effective. Let us see more from this series.

Love and Bass

Most reactions

Back