Bridal Fairs

melissa_sinha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to a Bridal Fair this weekend and I was wondering if anyone would lend me some good advise. This one is going to be the biggest one I have every gone to and it is very classy. There will be roughly 30-40 venders, six will be photographers. Any suggestions on how to stand out?
Thanks

I don't do fairs, but have friends who do, and I've been to several.

1. Use HUGE photos on easles. These photos should be very dramatic, or very colorful.

2. Have a slideshow going on a laptop of your very best work.

3. Bring samples of your albums, prints, and gallery wraps if you carry them. You can't sell what you can't show.

4. DON'T do give aways for leads. It devalues your work, and no one wants to be spammed to death. I learned this lesson from a photog friend who tried. She got nothing but bogus e-mail addys, real addys, and faked phone numbers.

5. Do have a sign in wedding date sheet. That way brides can see that other brides are interested in HER date. That will put some immediate actions in her mind.

6. Dress very professionally. Seems like a simple thing, but I've seen many mistakes here. Dress for your target audience. If you do funky stuff, dress funky, but PROFESSIONALLY.

7.Give them something they can take home that they will really use. Forget key chains and pens, give 'em a CD of a sample slideshow or a nice postcard featuring your work.

Hope that helps, and the best of luck to you!

I never thought of handing out a C.D. that's a great idea!! Usually I offer a special promo, like $100 off if they sign that day. Will that devalue my services?
Thanks for the advice

Yes, discounts say to a client "I make more than I'm worth, so I'll give you a break".
Instead try something like, "Book today, and get an album upgrade".
Always ALWAYS upgrade. Never discount. It's not just a wedding thing, but a general rule in all upper end sales.
It works out the same, but the connotation is completely different. Does that make sense?

Also, never use the words "sign" or "contract". They "book" or put in a "retainer". They also elect to "use you". They NEVER sign a contract.

Again, just general sales rules. Yes, it all means the same, but contracts, and the signing of them are scary to people. "Booking" however is not.

Thank-you so much, I can tell you have been doing this for awhile. I will be sure to use this. You are absolutely right about the 'discount" and how it sounds. Thank-you for your help. Also,(off the subject) do you find that being a member of certain groups such as the PPA has enhanced your business? It looks like you are located in a larger target area. My town is only about 18,000.
Thank-you again

Thank-you so much, I can tell you have been doing this for awhile. I will be sure to use this. You are absolutely right about the 'discount" and how it sounds. Thank-you for your help. Also,(off the subject) do you find that being a member of certain groups such as the PPA has enhanced your business? It looks like you are located in a larger target area. My town is only about 18,000.
Thank-you again

No problem. :) Yes, my area is very large, but we also have over 500 wedding photogs here. It's not really always the size that counts.
I use different orgs for different reasons. PPA has great insurance policies. WPPI has killer contests, WPJA is a juried group, so it's great just to be considered "good enough" to be included. NAPP has awesome offers and classes on photoshop.
They enhance my business by making me better through networking and judging. It's all fine to post a photo, and like it as it is.....you know it all kinda stuff, but to have a group of world renouned judges help you figure out how to do it better is absolutely invaluable. I haven't met a wonderful photog yet who didn't have a great quest for knowledge and assistance.
It's not so much about getting more work, although being a proven professional helps (the orgs will toss you if you get too much bad news), but most of all, it's about the family of photographers, all looking to help one another. It's just different.
Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back