Bridge in Full Sun

colintinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was trying to get a nice picture of the Forth Road Bridge on a very sunny evening. I think I've got the composition right - the original had a lot more foreground so I cropped it a bit. The exposure looks to be as good as could be expected when taking a picture directly into the sun. However I'm not quite so happy about the colours. I wanted the sky to be a bit bluer, but it's a bit washed out.

I'm guessing a polarising filter would have helped here, but would that have taken away the nice reflections off the water?

Pic here.

Colin

I ike the composition here, as well. :) Agreed, a tricky situation - the filter would have dampened down those reflections, but I don't think it would have hurt the image. I find myself wishing the image were just a big larger so I could see better detail. The crop you described was probably a good idea, as it is a dark foreground.

Is this someplace you can you go for a re-shoot? Try it with the filter and bracket, too.

Oh I can go for a reshoot - it's 10 miles away, but catching the weather like that here isn't always easy...

And I don't have a filter yet anyway!

I did bracket it as well, and had thought about playing around with a digital merge to put in properly exposed foreground, without the sun and sky being way over the top, but then I guessed more detail in the foreground might distract the eye.

Colin

The exposure I think is about as good as it can get shooting into the sun. I would have used a polorizing filter at it may have helped to get better color , I do not think it would have affected the reflection or at least very little, if any thing the filter would make highlights sharper. I think you did a great job on this. The bird is a cool addition to the picture as well The compostion is right on also.

Most reactions

Back