Bright side?

*sings* Always look on the bright, side of life, do doo do de do do de dooo! */sings*

Hmm...if you want...to cheer you up...ill record myself singing that, just for you!

hahaha sweet! Arty that would be so funny!!

Sorry to say it but if you can't handle the stress of being turned down without shutting up shop and crying for twenty minutes then I'd have to say they were most likely right.
Thanks. not exactly what I wanted to hear right now. hmmm I think everyone has sort of got the wrong 'image' of what ATC is really like. It's not as stressful as the media/hollywood has made it seem. But then again it depends on the person. Personally I find dealing with brides more stressful because of the face to face people factor. Brides can be bitches and they're the boss. They tell you what to do and if you can't do it they let you have it. I hate it. But when you're behind that console, you're the one in charge and everyone listens to you.
If you really want to say that ATC is stressful, it's not just the job that creates that environment... it's the shift work, fatigue management and lack of social life that concerns most real ATC. But if you've ever hung around a few you'd know they're not crack jobs, they haven't lost themselves to the 'stress'... Infact they're the nicest, most relaxed, normal people I know.

But why am I defending myself. meh. I couldn't really give a **** at the moment, I've got too much uni work to concentrate on.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, they made me smile. I just wish adrian were here at the moment.

I think I just found my bright side!! Now I'm not going to this course, I get to move to Brisbane and live with Adrian by the end of January. Yay :cheer:

If there's a better way to go, it will find you...

Asking other people who don't know you, for advice on what you should do, seems like a waste of time.

In five years you'll look back and probably think, 'that was the best thing that ever happened to me'.

Good Luck!

Meysha said:
But when you're behind that console, you're the one in charge and everyone listens to you.

TRUST ME vicky, no one listens TO each other anymore, we are merely listening AT each other.

big difference.

if its power or a sense of responsibility you are after, there are many other avenues for you to pursue.

md

MDowdey said:
TRUST ME vicky, no one listens TO each other anymore, we are merely listening AT each other.

big difference.

if its power or a sense of responsibility you are after, there are many other avenues for you to pursue.

md

What did you say? Sorry I wasnt listening...:D

You could always try computer games, same staring at a screen for hours, but the consequences are less tricky to handle! And you can get pissed on wine while you're doing it and entertain us all afterwards!

The right job will be there for you, and when it is, you'll have your chance to shine. :hug::

Meysha:

I have a friend who is an ATC here in Dallas. He is flighty, nervous, twitchy, manic at times. He is a caffeine junky, and can't sit still for a minute at a time. He has affectionately earned the nickname, "Hummingbird On Cocaine." Now the trick is, I don't know if he was like this before the job, or if it made him into that.

On the sad though, he just went through a very messy divorce.

My dad was radar officer in the US Navy for 21 years--basically an ATC on an aircraft carrier. He retired in the late 70s. He STILL has trouble sleeping, and gets jumpy and irritable if there is too much going on at once.

So, It's not just a hollywood picture I have of ATC's, I actually know a couple.

What I do know for sure is this:

You're going to be GREAT at whatever you choose to do!!

mountainlander said:
What I do know for sure is this:

You're going to be GREAT at whatever you choose to do!!

Roger that! Don't worry too much about any one thing... roll with the punches, and something great will come along that's right up your alley. =)

Wow! Isn't this 'reputation' stuff great. It seems I've received negative rep for my honesty (don't know who from).

Maybe I should just keep my nose out of other peoples affairs in future.

I was a controller for 7 years. It isn't anymore more stressful than many jobs. Certainly less so than being a policeman. It's your personality that counts. If you can handle stress it's a no big deal job. Mostly boring as crap, occassionaly frightening beyond words. ;)

ATC is like any other stressful job, you can either hack it or you can't. Some controllers lead perfectly normal lives, others become caffeine/nicotine addicted walking twitch machines. Me? I don't smoke & I don't drink coffee. Never have, never will. :)

If you really want this you'll find a way, the military is how I did it. Worse ways to spend a part of your life.

Just so you know marctwo, it wasn't me who gave you nagtive rep. I thought about it, coz I thought you were pretty rude. but meh. I'm over it.

Thanks Rob. it's a shame to hear about your mate not coping though.

I've seen the private atc life well too. My dad has been a controller his whole life and now he is the national safety and op's integrity manager, and all of our family friends are controllers. hehehe luckily though, in my city we don't have any 'crazy' controllers.

Meysha said:
Just so you know marctwo, it wasn't me who gave you nagtive rep. I thought about it, coz I thought you were pretty rude. but meh. I'm over it.
No, I never thought it was you. I have an idea who it was but it obviously isn't important - I just think it's childish to use the feature for such a thing instead of saying (as you did) how you feel.

Although I'm sorry that you took offence, I can't apologise for my honesty. I can, however, assure you that I won't partake in any such threads in future.

Most reactions

Back