Bringing my camera to China

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Sleepy_Sentry, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was fortunate enough to receive an award from my university to visit China this summer. I am very excited about going, especially because of the photographic opportunities. As far as I know, most of my time will be spent in urban areas.

One concern I have is that my camera might get damaged or stolen. I talked to some Chinese friends of mine and they all told me my camera might be a good target for thieves. They also mentioned that it might get damaged in the large crowds of people. I will be bring a Canon Rebel 450D along with a Canon 28-135 IS USM lens. I'm also getting a wireless remote such as the ML-L3 while I'm over there.

For people who have photographed in China, should I be that worried? Is it safe to bring this camera? Finally, can I get it insured and if so, is it a good idea?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Jeez,

It sounds just like New York City or any other worldwide metropolis.

There was a recent article in USA Today that digital camera thefts are way up.

A visit to a qualified insurance agent should help aleviate your fears. Leaving the camera at home, defeats the purpose of having a camera.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The same as you would look after your camera in any major city, in anywhere you are at the moment.

4. KalaMarie

KalaMarie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was in Shanghai & Beijing (two of the highest populated cities in China) 4 years ago as a tourist and I had my camera with me AT ALL TIMES as did thousands of other people. There is so much amazing stuff to photograph. At the time I was using a p&s, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my dSLR with me if I decide to return there again. So bring your camera and have a fabulous time.

5. Scout

Scout TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went to China last year. No one in my group had any problems and there were several dslr users in the group. Always know were your camera is and you should have no problems.

Hope you have fun!! I really loved it and hope to go back again someday.

6. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1. I lived in Beijing for a month 4 years ago. I also had only a P&S at the time, but don't foresee any danger that wouldn't be present anywhere else. Have fun, you'll love it over there. I hope to be able to go again some time.

7. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also spent some time there in 2007 (Beijing) and had my camera with me almost all the time. It was also a point and shoot but I felt completely safe. I'll be returning there this April and will be bringing my dslr as well.

I think the main thing with the larger cities is pick-pocketing. Apparently there's quite a bit of petty crimes and minor theft, however I didn't personally experience that. Just always have your camera where you can see it (ideally left around your neck) and you should be fine. Watch out for having it in a backpack or something that would place the camera behind you.

Derek

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who cares? It's covered by travel insurance. You do intend to get travel insurance don't you? ....

9. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i took my equipment to africa for a couple of month and i was fine, so just keep them near you, and sleep with them and you're good!!!! no joke

10. lowincash

lowincash TPF Noob!

I went to China last month but left my camera in my cousin's car =( But like others said, you should look after your camera as if you're in any major city or anywhere for that matter lol China is a safe place and I had no problem at all when taking picture from my friend's laptop =P

11. Dusty Miller

Dusty Miller TPF Noob!

I've been to China twice with LOTS of photo gear and zero problems, just don't get careless. By in large the Chinese are good folk and friendly towards tourists.

12. Dusty Miller

Dusty Miller TPF Noob!

Right you are pb, sometimes you've just gotta jump right in with both feet and go for it. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!