Britney Spears

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Village Idiot, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    First off, I think after receiving my 5D MKII back from Canon, the micro adjust settings got reset with everything else and now I'm back to front focusing again. Her face is a bit soft, which I was focusing on, but the foreground is sharp.

I had a friend of mine acting as an assistant and standing in the water to the left with a Canon 580EX II on a light stand with a shoot through umbrella.

I originally though that the location had hard ground and sand, but after coming down off the bridge, we find out it's nothing but semi not completely soft mud and grass. The four of us that were in on this ended up walking up the stream almost a 1/4 mile to the rocks and that was a stretch in itself. the girl assisting in the water was in water up to a bit above mid calf and under the water was mud that did nothing but suck you in. It was definitely ideal conditions, so once she was positioned with the light stand, I couldn't get her to move much farther. This really impacted the shoot because the umbrella is directly out of the right of the frame, which meant that I couldn't get the empty space in that direction like I wanted.

This is probably the best I came up with.

The girl on the rock is a local musician. I've been trying to gear my portrait portfolio to musicians as that's the industry I'm trying to get into. There wasn't a lot of direction here and the glare kind of shows off the personality of her music. She has a rough bluesy voice and style of play, so that was the idea behind be not telling her to sit pretty and smile.

I do think the best thing about shooting at 7:30 in the evening is the amazingly warm natural color you get from a sun starting to set directly behind you.

Well, that's all the excuses I can make for now. Have at it.

[​IMG]

2. ifi

ifi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is a nice shot. I could not tell how difficult it was for you to compose this shot without reading your post, especially holding the light in water part. Is that water under her feet or shadow? Seems like you managed to acheive what you were trying.

3. ivomitcats

ivomitcats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like everything about the photo except what the girl's wearing. It looks like her dress is a parachute

4. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Totally not what I was expecting her to show up in.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The shot just isn't working for me...she's positioned mostly dead center in the frame, with a very slight bit of extra space on the left for her to look into. but I cannot really "see" her face very well. The photo seems to be taken from too far away, or she's too small in the frame, compared to the background--there's no real feeling of visual engagement with her...she's small, looking away from the camera, and the background focus sort of competes with her. It just doesn't quite come together for me. Maybe if she were larger in the frame it would help. It sounds like it was a major PITA just getting to the location due to weather/terrain issues,and the time of day does indeed have really sweet light, so you're to be commended on those two points.

I think the tree trunks at the top are distracting. I held my hand up to the screen and cropped out the tree trunks, and I think the shot works better with just a plain, grassy lake shore above her.

6. EFHATCH1990

EFHATCH1990 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Derrel, to centered and to far away. I do like the lighting I think if you reshot and changed those two things above it would be an awesome photo :thumbup:

7. Sbuxo

Sbuxo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Her name's Britney Spears? :scratch: Or was that just the hook? :)=

8. ivomitcats

ivomitcats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps a closer crop would work a bit. There's some room to cut off the top of the photo and both sides.

9. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As Darrel said, the background competes with her. The only other thing I see is that she should have cleaned the mud off of her shoes and legs.

10. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Brittany spears? :/

11. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :meh:

12. Village Idiot

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, since no one ever visits the gallery sections since everyone post in the noob forum, you gotta do something to get some views.

Here's the other. I don't like the tilt though. I was just trying it with following the guitar's neck as the horizon.

[​IMG]

The whole idea for the location though was to include the location into the shot. Doesn't help that some one borrowed my 17-40 and hadn't brought it back yet...