Britney Spears

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, I think after receiving my 5D MKII back from Canon, the micro adjust settings got reset with everything else and now I'm back to front focusing again. Her face is a bit soft, which I was focusing on, but the foreground is sharp.

I had a friend of mine acting as an assistant and standing in the water to the left with a Canon 580EX II on a light stand with a shoot through umbrella.

I originally though that the location had hard ground and sand, but after coming down off the bridge, we find out it's nothing but semi not completely soft mud and grass. The four of us that were in on this ended up walking up the stream almost a 1/4 mile to the rocks and that was a stretch in itself. the girl assisting in the water was in water up to a bit above mid calf and under the water was mud that did nothing but suck you in. It was definitely ideal conditions, so once she was positioned with the light stand, I couldn't get her to move much farther. This really impacted the shoot because the umbrella is directly out of the right of the frame, which meant that I couldn't get the empty space in that direction like I wanted.

This is probably the best I came up with.

The girl on the rock is a local musician. I've been trying to gear my portrait portfolio to musicians as that's the industry I'm trying to get into. There wasn't a lot of direction here and the glare kind of shows off the personality of her music. She has a rough bluesy voice and style of play, so that was the idea behind be not telling her to sit pretty and smile.

I do think the best thing about shooting at 7:30 in the evening is the amazingly warm natural color you get from a sun starting to set directly behind you.

Well, that's all the excuses I can make for now. Have at it.

It is a nice shot. I could not tell how difficult it was for you to compose this shot without reading your post, especially holding the light in water part. Is that water under her feet or shadow? Seems like you managed to acheive what you were trying.

The shot just isn't working for me...she's positioned mostly dead center in the frame, with a very slight bit of extra space on the left for her to look into. but I cannot really "see" her face very well. The photo seems to be taken from too far away, or she's too small in the frame, compared to the background--there's no real feeling of visual engagement with her...she's small, looking away from the camera, and the background focus sort of competes with her. It just doesn't quite come together for me. Maybe if she were larger in the frame it would help. It sounds like it was a major PITA just getting to the location due to weather/terrain issues,and the time of day does indeed have really sweet light, so you're to be commended on those two points.

I think the tree trunks at the top are distracting. I held my hand up to the screen and cropped out the tree trunks, and I think the shot works better with just a plain, grassy lake shore above her.

I agree with Derrel, to centered and to far away. I do like the lighting I think if you reshot and changed those two things above it would be an awesome photo :thumbup:

As Darrel said, the background competes with her. The only other thing I see is that she should have cleaned the mud off of her shoes and legs.

well, since no one ever visits the gallery sections since everyone post in the noob forum, you gotta do something to get some views.

Here's the other. I don't like the tilt though. I was just trying it with following the guitar's neck as the horizon.

The whole idea for the location though was to include the location into the shot. Doesn't help that some one borrowed my 17-40 and hadn't brought it back yet...

I like the more defocused background in this second photo; I'd estimate that the background is about twice as defocused as it is in the longer-view shot. It's clear enough that she's in a natural location near water--we can see the water and the shoreline, so the suggestion of background is enough in this second photo.

I think you should edit out the tatt's on her hands lol. They keep drawing my attention. They dont go at all with her emotion, location, dress etc. I like the second shot much better because its closer and the background isnt competing at all with her. Love the lighting in both pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back